Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. Anonymous
    Guest
    #1

    The difference of "our" and "us"

    Dear Teacher,


    The problem is one for "our" or "us" students to talk about.


    Which one is correct and why?

    Thanks a lot for your kind assistance. :)

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,931
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2
    'Our' students is correct if you are a teacher because the students in a sense belong to you.

    If you are one of the students, then I'd just say 'for us to talk about'.


    • Join Date: Jun 2004
    • Posts: 41
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    'Our' students is correct if you are a teacher because the students in a sense belong to you.

    If you are one of the students, then I'd just say 'for us to talk about'.


    Thanks a lot for your kind assistance. :P

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 17,638
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: The difference of "our" and "us"

    Quote Originally Posted by Cicily
    Dear Teacher,


    The problem is one for "our" or "us" students to talk about.


    Which one is correct and why?

    Thanks a lot for your kind assistance. :)
    I would accept either.

    teacher: our students
    anybody: students
    one of the students: us students

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,931
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5
    How do you feel about 'we students'?

  3. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 17,638
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    How do you feel about 'we students'?
    I like it where nominative pronouns go. I hate it after prepositions. :wink:

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,931
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7
    I hear it, but don't like it.

  4. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 17,638
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I hear it, but don't like it.
    I don't mind it when it is needed. Often, it is superfluous. :wink:


    • Join Date: Jun 2004
    • Posts: 41
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I hear it, but don't like it.
    I don't mind it when it is needed. Often, it is superfluous. :wink:
    Hence, "we students", "our students", "us students" are all correct?

  5. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 17,638
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicily21
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I hear it, but don't like it.
    I don't mind it when it is needed. Often, it is superfluous. :wink:
    Hence, "we students", "our students", "us students" are all correct?
    All three can be correct. :wink:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •