• Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Pirate boat set and shore problems

Not quite sure of understanding the whole paragraph referring to the building of a boat set for a movie.

Filmmakers have to shot a sequence on a river with a pirate boat -oriental entourage-. But river water levels are so low that what they want to is getting very difficult to attain. paragraph is as follows:

"One of the most challenging, and unexpected, difficulties involved water levels; they dipped so low that the coastline where the pirate boat set was constructed -and floated- had to be reset. Production designer and his crew eventually built the set on a barge so that it could recede along with the coast line and they would not have to scout another place."

Main problems on my side are:

1) Is Pirate boat set a pirate boat replica or the place, kind of dockyard, where the boat is built?

2) The sentence: "...so that it could recede along with the coast line end they would not have to scout another place." not quite getting it. Is it saying that the barge is turned into the pirate boat set which, because floating, allows to get away from the shoreline when water is low; or is it saying the dockyard-like is becoming a floating one to avoid problems with water levels and shoreline and doing that, pirate boat can be made inside without any other water problems ? relation barge-shore not quite caught on my side.

Very blurred. If there is any other nuances and meanings you find I'm missing it would be extremely helpful to me you explain it.

Thank You very much for your kind attention in advance.
    Last edited by Bushwhacker; 11-Nov-2007 at 20:47.

Bushwhacker is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Pirate boat set and shore problems

Any help, please

Bushwhacker is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Pirate boat set and shore problems

Really no one could lend a hand to me?

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pirate boat set and shore problems

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    Not quite sure of understanding the whole paragraph referring to the building of a boat set for a movie.

Filmmakers have to shot a sequence on a river with a pirate boat -oriental entourage-. But river water levels are so low that what they want to is getting very difficult to attain. paragraph is as follows:

"One of the most challenging, and unexpected, difficulties involved water levels; they dipped so low that the coastline where the pirate boat set was constructed -and floated- had to be reset. Production designer and his crew eventually built the set on a barge so that it could recede along with the coast line and they would not have to scout another place."

Main problems on my side are:

1) Is Pirate boat set a pirate boat replica or the place, kind of dockyard, where the boat is built? The "Pirate boat set" is the boat, which has been built on top of a barge so that it can be moved.

2) The sentence: "...so that it could recede along with the coast line end they would not have to scout another place." not quite getting it. Is it saying that the barge is turned into the pirate boat set which, because floating, allows to get away from the shoreline when water is low; or is it saying the dockyard-like is becoming a floating one to avoid problems with water levels and shoreline and doing that, pirate boat can be made inside without any other water problems ? relation barge-shore not quite caught on my side. The film-makers are trying to avoid spending money on finding another location, so they have come up with this solution of putting the pirate boat onto the barge which they can move to a suitable position.

Very blurred. If there is any other nuances and meanings you find I'm missing it would be extremely helpful to me you explain it.

Thank You very much for your kind attention in advance.
    The "pirate boat set" is probably that they have only constructed the upper sides, deck and masts of the ship, which they want to film against a real background.