Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30
  1. #1
    jargon_dudette is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    425
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Whose Pronunciation is Right?

    My professor said that pronunciation of any English word (except for proper nouns) are correct as long as it is intelligible. Since the English language now is not limited to Americans and British and that it is spreading all over the world, spoken by many, the pronunciation should no be STANDARDIZED. That as long as the person you are talking to can understand your pronunciation, it's correct. What say you, gods of Mt. English?

    P.S
    have not logged in for such a long time. Miss being here!
    Hello Richard.
    Last edited by jargon_dudette; 11-Nov-2007 at 14:46.

  2. #2
    jctgf is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Whose Pronunciation is Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by jargon_dudette View Post
    My professor said that pronunciation of any English word (except for proper nouns) are correct as long as it is intelligible. Since the English language now is not limited to Americans and British and that it is spreading all over the world, spoken by many, the pronunciation should no be STANDARDIZED. That as long as the person you are talking to can understand your pronunciation, it's correct. What say you, Gods of Mt. English?

    P.S
    have not logged in for such a long time. Miss being here!
    Hello Richard.

    i am only a student and i think your teacher is 100% correct.

    it's a pitty that such a complicated language is the "universal" one.

    i feel like "borrowing" something from the others...don't u?

    regards

  3. #3
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Whose Pronunciation is Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by jargon_dudette View Post
    My professor said that pronunciation of any English word (except for proper nouns) are correct as long as it is intelligible. Since the English language now is not limited to Americans and British and that it is spreading all over the world, spoken by many, the pronunciation should no be STANDARDIZED. That as long as the person you are talking to can understand your pronunciation, it's correct. What say you, gods of Mt. English?

    P.S
    have not logged in for such a long time. Miss being here!
    Hello Richard.
    Good to see you back.

    Language changes, but there are still basics that mean everyone using it can understand each other. If the "correct" pronunciation of words is ignored, you will find comprehension becoming increasingly difficult. The rhythm and pattern of speech varies enormously, and unless you are used to a rhythm it can be difficult to understand.

    If an English speaker learns a foreign language, it is the "correct" pronunciations that are learned, not the dialectical ones.

  4. #4
    riverkid is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,064
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Whose Pronunciation is Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post

    If an English speaker learns a foreign language, it is the "correct" pronunciations that are learned, not the dialectical ones.
    I disagree. Here are my reasons, Anglika.

    What else is BrE or AmE or AuE or CdE but dialectal?

    Most ESL students will never have perfect pronunciation [or grammar or naturalness] for they start too late and the window of opportunity for a perfect acquisition of a second language closes forever.

    But that's not a problem. The only measure that's really important is, communicativeness.

  5. #5
    seba_870701 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Whose Pronunciation is Right?

    Hi guys.
    I agree entirely with Anglika! If the pronunciation and/or grammar were not standardized, we all would have great difficulty in understanding each other. Thus, in most of the schools in Poland (in my college as well) RP is thaught, because it gives no trace of speaker's origin! I believe it's the most universal and the easiest to comprehend dialect of English.. unlike to many regional ones!
    Last edited by seba_870701; 16-Nov-2007 at 19:11. Reason: typo

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,425
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Whose Pronunciation is Right?

    I live in Scotland where we all speak English; but I can't understand what people in Ayrshire are saying because of their pronunciations eg "bill" pronounced as "bell" as one example. To extrapolate from what certain respondents are advocating, and for us all to 'say it any way you like', then verbal communication is doomed! Even deaf people have standardized sign language, instead of just flapping their arms around.

  7. #7
    jargon_dudette is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    425
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Whose Pronunciation is Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by seba_870701 View Post
    Hi guys.
    I agree entirely with Anglika! If the pronunciation and/or grammar were not standardized, we all would have great difficulty in understanding each other. Thus, in most of the schools in Poland (in my college as well) RP is thaught, because it gives no trace of speaker's origin! I believe it's the most universal and the easiest to comprehend dialect of English.. unlike to many regional ones!
    What's an RP

  8. #8
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    41,642
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Whose Pronunciation is Right?

    Hi, how are you?
    Intelligibility is the most important test of pronunciation. Many are moving away from looking at approximation to native speaker pronunciation as such a key factor. I don't see anything wrong with this. Dictionaries are littered with alternative pronunciations of words and it is impossible to choose one and say that this is the only correct form. However, I think that the language will self-standardise as the requirements for international communication increase.

    RP = Received Pronunciation

  9. #9
    seba_870701 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Whose Pronunciation is Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    I live in Scotland where we all speak English; but I can't understand what people in Ayrshire are saying because of their pronunciations eg "bill" pronounced as "bell" as one example. To extrapolate from what certain respondents are advocating, and for us all to 'say it any way you like', then verbal communication is doomed! Even deaf people have standardized sign language, instead of just flapping their arms around.
    My teacher of British Literature speaks like that.. I spend most of her lectures wondering what is she talking about, because I can hardly recognise some words that she (according to RP rules) mispells!

  10. #10
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    41,642
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Whose Pronunciation is Right?

    Whereabouts is she from?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Better ways to teach pronunciation.
    By elbe in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 29-Sep-2007, 04:09
  2. Using phonics to improve English pronunciation.
    By wdragon in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Mar-2006, 05:37
  3. How should we look on pronunciation?
    By phoenixtree in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 24-Dec-2004, 02:48
  4. pronunciation
    By james_chew_84 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Nov-2004, 09:42

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk