Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    jargon_dudette is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Whose Pronunciation is Right?

Hello, Tdol.

So, can we say now that countries can make their own English Dictionary?
    Like Indian English Dictionary, Filipino English Dictionary? Does this mean we can say goodbye to Merriam and Webster?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jargon_dudette View Post
    Like Indian English Dictionary, Filipino English Dictionary? Does this mean we can say goodbye to Merriam and Webster?
    They already do. The British use, for example, the Oxford English Dictionary, while the Americans use, for example, Merriam and Webster. A British dictionary will list British pronunciations (and spellings and definitions) as the standard and note that the Americans do it differently; an American dictionary does it the other way.

By the way, it is not quite true that an RP accent will disguise your origin. Rather, it marks you out as a member of the aspiring and well-educated middle classes, most probably from the Home Counties.

Recently, I watched some episodes of an old British sci-fi show called "Blake's 7", and -- as was normal at the BBC in the 1970s -- everybody spoke with a lovely PR accent. That was fine for some of the characters, but hearing Gan speaking like that was very strange. Gan was a big but uneducated strongman, but he spoke like Prince Andrew -- it simply didn't fit his character.

riverkid is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Rewboss is back. Where have you been hiding out lately? Welcome back!

Where'd that vet [I think he was a vet] from New York get to? What was his name?

seba_870701 is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Whereabouts is she from?
    Apparently, she's Polish, but I assume she must have travelled abroad. And I was wondering, where did she learn to speak like that?

seba_870701 is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rewboss View Post
    Recently, I watched some episodes of an old British sci-fi show called "Blake's 7", and -- as was normal at the BBC in the 1970s -- everybody spoke with a lovely PR accent. That was fine for some of the characters, but hearing Gan speaking like that was very strange. Gan was a big but uneducated strongman, but he spoke like Prince Andrew -- it simply didn't fit his character.
    Well, I agree. It might be, sort of, awkward. But on the other hand, it is also very difficult to understand a regional accent and slang when spoken by a native speaker. And I'm sure that RP made it much more 'accessible' for foreigners!
    Last edited by seba_870701; 19-Nov-2007 at 16:19. Reason: typo

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

In its time, it also made communication easier amongst that group of English speakers.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jargon_dudette View Post
    Hello, Tdol.

We won't be saying goodbye to Merriam and Webster, but most dictionaries will expand the range of variants that they include. We saw this to an extent in the Encarta Dictionary, which tried to be more of a World English dictionary, though many thought it unsuccessful. I believe, though, that the massive increase in international communication will lead to a reduction in the differences between the variants. Forms will cross over, so it will not be one-way traffic, but there will be fewer differences not more. In Pygmalion, Professor Higgins can tell which street someone comes from by the accent- dialects are no longer so marked. In the town I grew up in, people of my mother's generation could say whether someone was from the north or the east of the town. Nowadays, there's no difference. I believe a similar pattern will follow in international English.

jctgf is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu
    Post Thanks / Like

hello,

sorry to disagree...

do u guys think it's hard for a native to understand a foreigner who has a slight non-standard accent?

what about for a foreigner having to speak someone's else language - English ?

if English intends to be the "universal" language, it is not too much to expect from natives a little effort to understand people from other countries who are doing their best to speak English.

have u natives already reasoned about how easy and comfortable it is for you guys to travel and communicate around the world?

trying to understand little differences in pronunciation and accent is the least that natives could do...

regards,
    jc

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

No one would disagree with you, and we are having to do this all the time. But in the end language is a means of communication, and if a "standard pronunciation" means that everyone can understand, that is the practical way to go.

jargon_dudette is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rewboss View Post
    They already do. The British use, for example, the Oxford English Dictionary, while the Americans use, for example, Merriam and Webster. A British dictionary will list British pronunciations (and spellings and definitions) as the standard and note that the Americans do it differently; an American dictionary does it the other way....
    hello. you're a moderator but i've never heard from you before. I've been a member since July. Are you also a god from Mt. English?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast