Post Thanks / Like

Default what's the meaning??? ... complicated

Dear Teacher,

The following sentence is complicated for me.

To prevent the queen
    from crawling up to the top and laying eggs, a screen can be inserted between the brood chamber and the supers. Three weeks later the honey can be gathered.
    Foul smelling chemicals are often used to irritate the bees and drive them down into the hive's bottom boxes, leaving the honey-filled supers more or less bee free.These can then be pulled off the hive.

what's the meaning of the sentence that is underlined? Does that mean to leave the honey-filled supers more and to leave less bee free; or it means that the honey-filled supers can be left and those bees are more or less won't be in the supers?

Thanks a lot for your kind assistance! :)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: what's the meaning??? ... complicated

When the bees are made to go down to the bottom of the hive, the upper part of the hive (where the honey-filled supers are located) is more or less empty of bees. more or less means, most of the bees.

"...it means that the honey-filled supers can be left and those bees are more or less won't be in the supers." Yes. That's correct. :D Most of the bees won't be in the upper part of the hive near the supers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    When the bees are made to go down to the bottom of the hive, the upper part of the hive (where the honey-filled supers are located) is more or less empty of bees. more or less means, most of the bees.

"...it means that the honey-filled supers can be left and those bees are more or less won't be in the supers." Yes. That's correct. :D Most of the bees won't be in the upper part of the hive near the supers.

Thanks a lot for your kind assistance! I 'm glad that I get the meaning!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cicily21
    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea

Thanks a lot for your kind assistance! I 'm glad that I get the meaning!
    You're welcome. :D