• Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: eats

riverkid
    Regarding your latests comments...
    1...You are ignoring the possibility of ambiguity. It is best to have no chance of ambiguity.
    It doesn't matter how commonly "get" is used. "becomes" removes the small chance of ambiguity that "gets" carries.

2...Whether in the original sentence or in my preferred sentence, we don't need to describe a process; we only need to describe a state, and that is one of the reasons "is" is best, in my opinion.
    Keep language simple, direct and unambiguous!

3...Sometimes adverb placement is flexible, but sometimes it is not if you want to keep the meaning very clear/unambiguous. In our sentences it is not flexible, if you want no chance of ambiguity.
    Let's take another example:
    He is excited only when he gambles. (= The only times he is excited is when he gambles.)
    He is only excited when he gambles. This sentence can be taken to mean the same as the first sentence, but it also can mean that he is not nervous or worried when he gambles, he is only excited. So why allow any chance of ambiguity?

In these sentences, I would be more receptive towards the use of "gets" (or "becomes") because there is no possibility of ambiguity being introduced. And, of course, a process is possible.

Hopefully I will have nothing more to say about this. The last word is yours, if you wish.
    Last edited by 2006; 13-Nov-2007 at 01:16.

riverkid is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: eats

Quote Originally Posted by 2006 View Post
    riverkid
    Regarding your latests comments...
    1...You are ignoring the possibility of ambiguity. It is best to have no chance of ambiguity.
    It doesn't matter how commonly "get" is used. "becomes" removes the small chance of ambiguity that "gets" carries.

There is no ambiguity when one uses 'get', 2006, none whatsoever. You've only stated that there is, you haven't shown that there is.

2...Whether in the original sentence or in my preferred sentence, we don't need to describe a process; we only need to describe a state, and that is one of the reasons "is" is best, in my opinion.
    Keep language simple, direct and unambiguous!

What you're suggesting is preposterous, 2006. Shall we do away with all verbs except the 'be' verb?

Hopefully I will have nothing more to say about this. The last word is yours, if you wish.
    I'll address the rest tomorrow.

Tomorrow, I will get to the rest.

The rest is tomorrow.

Which is the most ambiguous?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2