belly_ttt is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the difference between a vicar and a pirest?

What is the difference between a vicar and a pirest?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is the difference between a vicar and a pirest?

vicar

In the Roman Catholic Church, this is a representative or deputy of a bishop.
    In the Episcopal Church in America, this is a member of the clergy in charge of a chapel.
    In the Church of England, this is more complicated to explain, so I'll just say it's the title given to a minister of a particular kind of church in England
    In other churches in England, those not Roman Catholic, or Church of England, it is the title of a minister who is acting in the place of the minister who usual looks after the church.

Complicated, huh?
    priest

In a church of a Christian faith, it is a minister who is authorized to perform rites(=solemn ceremonies such as the Last Rites, the set prayers said when someone is dying) and administer sacraments, such as perform the Mass in the Catholic Church

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I wonder if you guys ever watched : "Keeping mum" the film which Rowan Akinson is of the casting. He is said to be a Vicar that can perform the Mass, but can marry and have sex. So which is the title of him in the meaning of "vicar"?
    In Vietnam I just know only Protestant and Catholic are of Christain faith ( having priests perform the Mass and believe in Jesus), so perhaps due to the differences between our two cultures, I cannot totally understand the meaning of Vicar.
    Last edited by belly_ttt; 13-Nov-2007 at 10:51.

Post Thanks / Like

If he can marry and have sex, he can't be in the Roman Catholic Church, whether he is called priest/minister/vicar or whatever in the film. But he can perform Mass. The Church of England also celebrates Mass, and Church of England clergy can marry. So he was probably a vicar in the Church of England.

Okay, I wonder if you guys have seen "Keeping Mum" the film in which Rowan Akinson is in the cast. He is said to be a vicar, can perform the Mass, but can marry and have sex. So, I think you mean, which of the types of vicar I listed would he be.

In Vietnam, I just know only that the Protestant and Catholic churches are Christain faiths ( having priests perform the Mass and believe in Jesus). So, perhaps it's [B]due to the difference(s) between our two cultures, I cannot totally understand the meaning of "vicar".
    Last edited by David L.; 13-Nov-2007 at 10:27.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks David, there are probably some typos that I didn't have time to check.
    But between the Protestant and Catholic churches are Christain faiths
    and
    Protestant and Catholic are of Christain faith,
    what is the difference?

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

The Protestant and Catholic churches are denominations in the Christian faith
    [Each denomination has different interpretations of parts of scripture and different views of Man's relationship with God]

Protestant and Catholic [people] are of the Christian faith
    [both denominations follow the teachings of Christ]

blouen is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Protestants formerly came from the Catholic group of churches but later on "protested" against Catholic faith. Martin Luther started the protest, which was later on followed by other leaders of their time. They've changed some Catholic doctrines which they seem inappropriate and does not conform to the doctrine of the bible. Inclusive of these Protestant groups are, if I'm not wrong, Baptists, Adventists, Lutherans, Presbyterians....

Post Thanks / Like

Short answer: A vicar is a priest who has a certain type of job. The type of job can be different in different churches, but he/she is always a priest. The vicar in "Keeping Mum" was a Church of England priest.

Searching for language is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

In Canada in the Lutheran Church, the Pastor is the person in charge, baptises children, performs the services, funerals, marriages etc. A vicar is someone who has studied theology and is assigned to a congregation as a sort of "student teacher". In other words, he just does not have his own congregation yet.

I am not familiar with the duties he may or not perform. (Not a very good Lutheran here!)