Unregistered Guest

Angry Mrs Linda Wright

Please please can you help? I am tormented by the fact that so many people today, including BBc news readers etc., WILL say bored of this or fed up of this instead of with this. I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that I am wrong, as it is many years since I was at school where I achieved 'O' level English and have long since forgotten all the correct terms.
    Kind regards
    Linda Wright
    EMAIL REMOVED - Send PM to This User Instead

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mrs Linda Wright

Join the ranks! They are examples of those colloquial changes that seem to be taking hold. However, that is one of the ways in which language develops, and there is no point fulminating since no one is going to listen. Just use the way you learned. It's a small stand, but it's your own.

jctgf is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Join the ranks! They are examples of those colloquial changes that seem to be taking hold. However, that is one of the ways in which language develops, and there is no point fulminating since no one is going to listen. Just use the way you learned. It's a small stand, but it's your own.

hi,

could u pls explain what u mean with the sentence in bold?

thanks

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jctgf View Post
    hi,

Could you please explain what you mean with the sentence in bold?

thanks
    If Mrs Wright always uses the grammar she was taught to use, she is making a stand against the rising tide of colloquial changes in English. It is not a large stand since she is the only one doing it, but it is her own stand.

To make a stand
    is to make a determined effort to defend something or to stop something from happening.