Unregistered Guest

Default affair with someone's husband

I want to express there are two reasons. The first one is bad but the second one is even worse. Is the following correct?

Not only am I in love with a married man, what's worse/worst is that he's my uncle.

Is there a better way to express this idea.

And, I want to know what one calls the person who is having an affair with someone's husband? Stealer? Usurper?

Massaga is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Swahili
      • Home Country:
      • Tanzania
      • Current Location:
      • Tanzania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: affair with someone's husband

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I want to express there are two reasons. The first one is bad but the second one is even worse. Is the following correct?

Not only am I in love with a married man, what's worse/worst is that he's my uncle.

Is there a better way to express this idea.

And, I want to know what one calls the person who is having an affair with someone's husband? Stealer? Usurper?
    My friend,

Though English is my second language, I feel like there is a riddle of interchangable grammer in your senteces. If I were you, gramatically I would write in this way :

Not only I am ( not am I) in love with a married man, the worst (not worse) is that he's my uncle.

Is there any (not a ) better way to express this idea.

And, I want to know how (not what) someone (not one) calls the person who is having an affair with someone's husband? Stealer? Usurper?

Those changes are accordingly to my understanding, however I will appreciate anybody`s opinion to furnish my perception.

Thanks!

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

Is there a better way to express this idea. I think this is fine as it is.

You would only use "worst" if there are more than two matters to be considered. "Not only am I in love with a married man who is my uncle, what's worst of all is that he is 25 years old than I am."

And, I want to know what one calls the person who is having an affair with someone's husband? Stealer? Usurper? Husband-stealer is the politest term.

Englishlanguage is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Massaga View Post
    My friend,

Though English is my second language, I feel like there is a riddle of interchangable grammer in your senteces. If I were you, gramatically I would write in this way :

Not only I am ( not am I) in love with a married man, the worst (not worse) is that he's my uncle.
    I think there is nothing wrong with what he/she has written. Not only am I in love with a married man is . Subject-verb inversion is often use in affirmative sentences after some expression such as not only, on no account, seldom.
    e.g. On no account must any information on the matter be divulged
    Only now did I realize what he meant

Of course, it sounds a bit formal but it's definitely correct.