Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Verb tense


    • Join Date: Jul 2003
    • Posts: 508
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Verb tense

    I am confused. Which are correct?

    1. I was a teacher for 18 years before coming to the U.S.
    2. I was a teacher for 18 years before coming to the U.S. in 1980.
    3. I was a teacher for 18 years before I came to the U.S.
    4. I had been a teacher for 18 years before I came to the U.S.

    Thanks.

    BMO


    • Join Date: Jun 2004
    • Posts: 1,369
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2
    4 is certainly right.

    FRC

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 45,939
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3
    1-3 are also correct- 'before' makes the sequence clear.


    • Join Date: Jul 2003
    • Posts: 508
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    1-3 are also correct- 'before' makes the sequence clear.
    Thanks.

    Both #3 and #4 are correct?

    I had been a teacher for 18 years before coming to the U.S.

    Is this correct too?

    BMO

  1. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 19,250
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Verb tense

    Quote Originally Posted by bmo
    I am confused. Which are correct?

    1. I was a teacher for 18 years before coming to the U.S.
    2. I was a teacher for 18 years before coming to the U.S. in 1980.
    3. I was a teacher for 18 years before I came to the U.S.
    4. I had been a teacher for 18 years before I came to the U.S.

    Thanks.

    BMO
    I like all four of them. :wink:


    • Join Date: Jul 2003
    • Posts: 508
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Verb tense

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by bmo
    I am confused. Which are correct?

    1. I was a teacher for 18 years before coming to the U.S.
    2. I was a teacher for 18 years before coming to the U.S. in 1980.
    3. I was a teacher for 18 years before I came to the U.S.
    4. I had been a teacher for 18 years before I came to the U.S.

    Thanks.

    BMO
    I like all four of them. :wink:
    Thanks to both of you.

    How about the "fifth," I had been a teacher for 18 years before coming to the U.S. ?

    BMO

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 19,250
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: Verb tense

    Quote Originally Posted by bmo
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by bmo
    I am confused. Which are correct?

    1. I was a teacher for 18 years before coming to the U.S.
    2. I was a teacher for 18 years before coming to the U.S. in 1980.
    3. I was a teacher for 18 years before I came to the U.S.
    4. I had been a teacher for 18 years before I came to the U.S.

    Thanks.

    BMO
    I like all four of them. :wink:
    Thanks to both of you.

    How about the "fifth," I had been a teacher for 18 years before coming to the U.S. ?

    BMO
    I like that too. :wink:


    • Join Date: Jul 2003
    • Posts: 508
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: Verb tense

    Great. Thanks, that make it so simple since they are all correct.

    But my English teacher (I am taking an Advanced Grammar for ESL students this summer) said the fifth one should be a simple past.

    Well, I am kind of confused myself, why the following are both correct:

    1. I was a teacher before coming to the States, and
    2. I had been a teacher before coming to the States.

    I thought only No. 2 is correct, because it is a past perfect before a simple past.

    BMO

  3. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 19,250
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: Verb tense

    Quote Originally Posted by bmo
    Great. Thanks, that make it so simple since they are all correct.

    But my English teacher (I am taking an Advanced Grammar for ESL students this summer) said the fifth one should be a simple past.

    Well, I am kind of confused myself, why the following are both correct:

    1. I was a teacher before coming to the States, and
    2. I had been a teacher before coming to the States.

    I thought only No. 2 is correct, because it is a past perfect before a simple past.

    BMO
    We get this question often. English grammar allows us two ways to stage past events. One is to use the past perfect tense for the earlier action. The other is to use preopsitions or adverbs or conjunctions of time to clearly lay out the sequence.

    Your examples really don't have a simple past. Try this:

    I graduated from college when I lived in Iowa. (graduated in Iowa)
    I had graduated from college when I lived in Iowa. (graduated before Iowa)
    I graduated from college before I lived in Iowa. (graduated before Iowa)
    I had graduated from college before I lived in Iowa. (graduated before Iowa)

    I chose "when" in #1 as a neutral because it is often not clear all by itself.

    The next three use the past perfect, a time clue, and both, respectively.

    I would accept all three as correct. All are clear enough, but notice that #3 and #4 are little clearer than #2. This is because the conjunction "before" leaves no doubt.

    Some grammarians will say that #4 is the most correct, and I have no objection to it. But it is hard to say anything neagtive against #3. It is up to you. Either use the past perfect and a clear timing clue or use the simple past with a clear timing clue. Most will be very happy with either choice. :wink:


    • Join Date: Jul 2003
    • Posts: 508
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: Verb tense

    Thank you so much; it is very clear.

    BMO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. noun phrases
    By sting in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Aug-2004, 21:52
  2. as if vs. verb tense
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Jul-2004, 10:52
  3. english grammar
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 17-Oct-2003, 15:27
  4. Subject of a verb
    By Anonymous in forum Linguistics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 14-Oct-2003, 07:10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •