Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: talk/speak

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,814
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default talk/speak

    Q1
    "Can I speak to someone" is used when you ask somebody to speak on the phone. Is there situation I could say "Can I talk to someone?"


    Q2 Any difference?
    You talk too fast!
    You speak too fast!

    :D

  2. #2
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,391
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If I wanted to have a heart to heart with someone,or discuss a serious problem, I might ask if I could talk to them.

  3. #3
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,926
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: talk/speak

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Q1
    "Can I speak to someone" is used when you ask somebody to speak on the phone. Is there situation I could say "Can I talk to someone?"


    Q2 Any difference?
    You talk too fast!
    You speak too fast!

    :D
    "Can I talk to someone" would be common in the US.

    I see no difference in your second set.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,814
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: talk/speak

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Q1
    "Can I speak to someone" is used when you ask somebody to speak on the phone. Is there situation I could say "Can I talk to someone?"


    Q2 Any difference?
    You talk too fast!
    You speak too fast!

    :D
    "Can I talk to someone" would be common in the US.

    I see no difference in your second set.

    Do you mean either "Can I talk to Mike?" or "Can I speak to Mike" is fine in telephone conversation? My teacher usually ask us to use 'speak' when you are on the phone.

  5. #5
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,926
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: talk/speak

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Q1
    "Can I speak to someone" is used when you ask somebody to speak on the phone. Is there situation I could say "Can I talk to someone?"


    Q2 Any difference?
    You talk too fast!
    You speak too fast!

    :D
    "Can I talk to someone" would be common in the US.

    I see no difference in your second set.

    Do you mean either "Can I talk to Mike?" or "Can I speak to Mike" is fine in telephone conversation? My teacher usually ask us to use 'speak' when you are on the phone.
    Either would be common in the US. :wink:

  6. #6
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Speak tends to be more formal, and talk more informal, but there is considerable overlap. Often it is a matter of personal preference which is used.

    :)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •