Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    nooora1 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Why Female Students Prefer Male Teachers in ESL Classrooms

hiiiiiiiiiiii everybody

could any one please check my language mistakes, grammar or vocabulary on my reserach that I attachemt ? and I would happy for him/her.

please heeeeeeelp meee

thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: check my language

The first paragraph.
    Why Female Students Prefer Male Teacher in ESL Classroom

Introduction:

Male and female. These are the two gender of human in the world. These two genders have a lot of ambiguity to understand their natural. Also there are a lot of secrets inside the relationship between male and female. In this research I want to discover one of those secrets, I am going to discover why female students in UAEUniversity prefer to study with male teacher in ESL classroom? According to the area we live in and to the culture we have, female students must prefer and like female teacher’s more than male teacher. In this research we are going to see if teachers gender affect students learning? The reason for that preference and which gender of students prefer more on UAEUniversity teachers? The effectiveness of teacher’s gender is on students learning and preferring.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Corrections in blue

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    Why Female Students Prefer Male Teacher in ESL Classroom

Introduction:

Male and female. These are the two gender of human in the world. These two genders have a lot of ambiguity to understand their natural. Also there are a lot of secrets inside the relationship between male and female. In this research I want to discover one of those secrets, I am going to discover why female students in UAEUniversity prefer to study with male teacher in ESL classroom? According to the area we live in and to the culture we have, female students must prefer and like female teacher’s more than male teacher. In this research we are going to see if teachers gender affect students learning? The reason for that preference and which gender of students prefer more on UAEUniversity teachers? The effectiveness of teacher’s gender is on students learning and preferring.
    Title:
    Why Female Students Prefer Male Teachers in ESL Classrooms

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Male and female. These are the two gender of human in the world.
    The world is divided into male and female.
    These two genders have a lot of ambiguity to understand their natural. Also there are a lot of secrets inside the relationship between male and female.
    In this research I want to discover one of those secrets, I am going to discover why female students in UAEUniversity prefer to study with male teacher in ESL classroom?
    In this essay I will attempt to explain why female students prefer male teachers in ESL classrooms.
    According to the area we live in and to the culture we have, female students must prefer and like female teacher’s more than male teacher. In this research we are going to see if teachers gender affect students learning? The reason for that preference and which gender of students prefer more on UAEUniversity teachers? The effectiveness of teacher’s gender is on students learning and preferring.

We expect female students to prefer female teachers, but they do not. In this essay I will attemp to explain why that is.
    Please post the rest of the essay here on the forum.

~R

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why Female Students Prefer Male Teachers in ESL Classrooms

thanks a lot RonBee for helping mee

but could you please correct it in the same word file and then send it to my email ( EMAIL REMOVED - Send PM to This User Instead).

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nooora1 View Post
    thanks a lot RonBee for helping mee

but could you please correct it in the same word file and then send it to my email ( EMAIL REMOVED - Send PM to This User Instead).
    No, sorry. Any help is for the benefit of everybody, not just the one who poses the question. I post my responses to questions here on the forum where everybody can see them. That way any help I can give is for more than just one person. Also, if somebody disagrees with me or wants to add something they can do so. Can't do that with email, can we?

If people can see it here on the forum they can see the different ways of saying things. They can see the different ways of looking at things. Even the arguments can be beneficial. No one person can know everything. That is why it is good to have more than one opinion sometimes.

I don't want to open attachments.

That's all for now.

~R

Post Thanks / Like

thank youu a lot for helping me

this is the reset of the research

The effect on general of both teacher genders in students

“For all the differences between the sexes, here's one that might stir up debate in the teacher's lounge: Boys learn more from men and girls learn more from women.” (Dee, 2006) from what said above we notice that gender of teachers will effect on students learning and it is depend on the gender of teachers and students, if it is the same or different. That effectiveness will be negative or positive. Also it is depend on the teacher’s style of teaching no matter if the teacher male or female. And it depends on the age of the students, male or female.
    In the two sections below we will see how teacher’s gender affects students learning. The first section will talk about the effect on same gender; teachers and students on same gender; we will look to effect of male teacher to male students and the effect of female teachers to female students. The second section will talk about the effect on the different gender; teachers and students on different gender; we will look to the effect of male teachers to female students and the effect of female teachers to male students. That effectiveness could be on students learning, on their behaviour, on their thinking and also it can effect student’s interaction and achievement.

The effect on same gander

This section will show how the teachers gender effect students learning and teachers and students from the same gender. First I will talk about the effect of male teachers on male students. “Boys are better off when taught by men,” said (Dee, 2006). In view of what Dee say we can understand that male teachers have positive effect to male students and we can see that effect when male teachers have a lot of conversations with male students more than with female students (Voyles, Haller, Fossum, 2007). From that we can notice that effect was positive to male students because they will have a chance to talk and they will participate more in that conversation and that will help them to develop their language speaking and to be more focus in classroom also it will help male students to interact and attend on the classroom. Male teachers care more about how to be reliable, respected and how to help helpful to students (Meece, 1987). And that help male students in their learning because they will have a person who they can trust him and be helpful for them. And that will effect positive in students achievement and in they way students behave when they know that their teacher respect them and help when they need help.
    Second thing I will talk about is the effect of female teachers on female students. “Girls have better educational outcomes when taught by women”It is a study suggestsby (Dee, 2006). From that study suggest we can see that female educational outcomes will be better when they taught by female teachers and that will effect positive to their achievement, their achievement will be high. Female teachers can support and encourage female students to successfully complete their studies and also they listen to any problems and provide guidance and advices when necessary. (UNESCO Bangkok, 2006) ”Women teachers provide new and different role models for girls”. (UNESCO Bangkok, 2006). That means female students will notice the possibilities for them to be active outside and it will help them to think about their future and to successful in their live. That effect of female teachers on female students was positive, and female students can easily communicate with female teachers better than male teachers.

The effect on different gender

In this section I will try to show how the different gender of teacher will affect the different gender of students? In general. How male teachers will affect female students? And how female teacher will affect male student?(Dee, 2006) said: “Learning from a teacher of the opposite gender has a detrimental effect on students” after what Dee said we want to know if the teachers and students from different gender will effect harmfully to students learning, First I will start with how male teachers effect female students? (Dee, 2006) has made some discoveries, male teacher can improve the reading gap in 13 year old but improve only works with male students and it is harmful for female students. (Dee, 2006) “In a class taught by a man, girls were more likely to say the subject was not useful for their future. They were less likely to look forward to the class or to ask questions.” From that we can see that female students have less motivation to be active in the classroom and that will affect student’s performance.
    Second I will show you how female teachers effect male students? “Research shows that boys develop higher positive self-perceptions as readers when they worked with female teachers” (Press Zoom). That is according to the new study in Canadian. That means female teachers have a positive effect to male students in their reading ability. And that result can change according to the student’s age, I believe that female teacher can work well with children male students because she will behave like their mother for that it easy for her to teach them and it will benefit for male students in the learning. On the other hand the effect is negative to student’s attitude. Male students are more likely to distracting, upsetting and disrupted when they taught by female teachers (Dee, 2006). And that happen because male students do not like any one to control them and from the nature the human theory that male like to control female not the opposite.
    That effectiveness I mention above (same gender and different gender) not really be true it is only some view of the research that could change from one area to other and it is also depend on teachers teaching styles and students learning styles, it is also depend on other factors like: age of teachers and students, environment of the classroom, students and teachers background and other factors that related to the learning process.

Post Thanks / Like

Before I talk about the survey result, I will talk about from where? And how? I know that female students in UAE University prefer male teachers. I notice that from many situations. First situation, that female students say that when they have a register for classes they look first to the classes that taught by male teachers. Other situation, when there are a lecture in the campus and male teacher who talk in it , I saw that the hall was full of female students and some students do not have a place to sit ,but if the lecturer is female teacher there are a few of female students who attend the lecture. Anther situation that show to me that female students prefer male teachers, when I see the difference on number of female students who visit their teachers in their office hour, I notice that male teachers have a large proportion of visiting by female students. After talking about those situations we are going to look to the results of UAE University survey.
    The survey result of UAE University females student

I made I survey that include only one technique of it. That technique is questionnaire. It has 20 questions for 25 female students from UAEU who study in English second language classroom to see their preference on teacher’s gender.
    The survey that I made for UAEU female students show that female students in UAEU prefer male teacher more than female for a lot of reasons, the diagram below show the percentage of female students prefer male teachers..

From that diagram we can see that 90% of female students prefer male teachers and only 8% of female students prefer female teachers. That means 23 students out of 25 female students say they prefer male teacher, on the other hand only 2 students out of 25 students say they prefer female teacher.
    There are many reasons that make female students in UAE University prefer male teachers. I will divide the reasons for two sections. First section will consider about the psychological reason and second section will consider about social and cultural reasons. Also there are other reasons that focus in the teacher styles and ways in teaching. The psychological reasons are the reason that look to the students natural, theory of women and how she look to the man and she look to other woman and it is look to the personal factors. Some reason that underline the psychological reasons are female students prefer male teachers because they believe that will help them in future, in their work and when they get married to have some insight to knowing how to deal with males. For that reason 64% of female students agree with it, but 36% of female students do not agree with it. Other psychological reason is that female students attracted by the nature to male teachers, for that reason not many students agree with, 36% of female students agree with it, but 64% of female students disagree with. The last reason in area of psychology that some female students agree with that female teachers see themselves as leaders more than male teachers for that they prefer male teacher and they think that will not help them in their learning.
    Social and cultural reasons are the reasons that look to the society that female student’s life in and the social background like school. One reason from the social reason is male teachers respect female students more than female teachers and that respect came from Arabic and Islamic culture that say man must respect women also because male teachers look to the female students like their daughter . For that reason 84% of female students agree with it, but 16% of students disagree with. Other social reason that some female students agree with is that they are bored with female students because they have been with them for 12 years in school and they want to change the routine by prefer male teachers to female teachers. The last reason that some agree with is that female teachers are more philosophical than male teacher and they think that it is not good for their learning because they think that female teachers always like to speak and give the subject big size and talk about things that not related to the subject and they think it is make them boring and they do not have an opportunity to share the teacher in the lesson.
    The other reasons that I will talk about are the teacher styles and ways in teaching that make female students prefer male teachers. These reasons are male teachers are better in teaching, male teachers use effective materials in teaching, male teachers are less stressed with female students, male teachers give higher grade, male teachers help students more in their projects and homework, male teachers give easy tests and exams, female teachers are more nervous inside classroom, female teachers bore students more than male teachers and female teachers bring their personal problems to the classroom. The table below will show the percentage for those reasons. From that table we can notice that some female students in some reasons they think that the answer will be the both like in using effective material and who make students boring. Also other notice that some students think their answer will depend on the teachers and the course, like in who give higher grade and who give easy tests and exams.

The preference of some UAE University teachers on their student’s gender

In this section I will talk about the preference of some UAE University teachers on their student’s gender. I made a questionnaire for them to know their preference. I choose 5 male teachers and 5 female teachers. Male teachers, most of the male teacher prefer to teach to both genders of students because they think it is an individual property and does not rely on gender to prefer according to it. Also, some of them say they enjoy teaching both gender equally and they can not preference between them. But their some male teacher prefers to teach female students. Because they believe that female students are better in learning language, and they are more attentive and motivate in classroom, also they care more about learning and studying, also they think female students less noise for that they are easier to teach and they believe that female students are quite and more respectful.
    Female teachers, most of female teachers prefer to teach female students because they believe they are from the same gender and they can help them personally if they ask of help, also they think that they have a good behavior, and they are very polite and respectful, also because they have motivation to learn and because they are better in doing their homework and projects. Some female teachers prefer to teach both genders because they think they are equally for them and they do not see any differences between male and female students.
    Conclusion

At the end, that affects of teachers gender on students can positive and negative according to many factors. On the other hand there are a lot of reasons that make female students prefer male teacher’s not female teachers. Also there are some categories that teachers in UAE University prefer students gender according to. There are some problems that I face it in my research specially on survey, some students do not understand what the questions are talking about, other students when they have yes, no question and say why if your answer yes, their were no because they do not like to write and that made confuse about the result because it will not accurate. Other problem that was with some female teacher who does not have experience with male students for that they can not answer to my questionnaire. Finally I want to thinks all the teachers specially Dr.Rima. And all the students who are help me on answering the questionnaire. And I hope that results I found can help to develop our learning and our teaching.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Before I talk about the survey result, I will talk about from where? And how? I know that female students in UAE University prefer male teachers.
    Before I talk the survey results I will talk about how I know that female students at UAE University prefer male teachers.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I notice that from many situations. First situation, that female students say that when they have a register for classes they look first to the classes that taught by male teachers. Other situation, when there are a lecture in the campus and male teacher who talk in it , I saw that the hall was full of female students and some students do not have a place to sit ,but if the lecturer is female teacher there are a few of female students who attend the lecture. Anther situation that show to me that female students prefer male teachers, when I see the difference on number of female students who visit their teachers in their office hour, I notice that male teachers have a large proportion of visiting by female students. After talking about those situations we are going to look to the results of UAE University survey.
    I base my conclusions on several things. First, when female students register for classes they look first for the classes taught by male teachers. Second, when there is a lecture on campus and a male teacher is giving the lecture the hall is full of female students and it is standing room only. But if the lecturer is a female teacher only a few female students attend the lecture. Third, male teachers have a large proportion of office visits by female students. After talking about those things we will look at the results of the UAE University survey.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast