• China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

quiet and silent, father and further

Dear teachers,

I have two questions to ask:

No.1
    I could hear his steps clearly in the still of the night.
    Can I use 'quietness' or 'silence' to replace the word 'still'? And could you please explain the difference between 'quiet' and 'silent'?

No.2
    I was told to wait for further notice.
    Can I replace 'further' with 'farther'? I find the two words are very confusing.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Naamplao is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: quiet and silent, father and further

Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    Dear teachers,

I have two questions to ask:

No.1
    I could hear his steps clearly in the still of the night.
    Can I use 'quietness' or 'silence' to replace the word 'still'? And could you please explain the difference between 'quiet' and 'silent'?

No.2
    I was told to wait for further notice.
    Can I replace 'further' with 'farther'? I find the two words are very confusing.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    #1)"the still of the night" is a very common expression. Silence and quietness refer only to sound. "Still" refers to not only sound but also to movement.

So in the "the still of the night" refers to a time of night that is perfectly quiet and there is no movement (for example not even a soft wind blowing)

Silent means no sound at all. Quiet means very little sound

#2) Further/farther

You should be using a dictionary to resolve these questions.

Here are dictionary meanings of the two words from Online Dictionary: Meanings and Definitions - eLook.org

Further

Definition:
    1. [adverb] to or at a greater extent or degree or a more advanced stage (`further' is used more often than `farther' in this abstract sense); "further complicated by uncertainty about the future"; "let's not discuss it further"; "nothing could be further from the truth"; "they are further along in their research than we expected"; "the application of the law was extended farther"; "he is going no farther in his studies"
      Synonyms: farther
    2. [adverb] in addition or furthermore; "if we further suppose"; "stated further that he would not cooperate with them"; "they are definitely coming; further, they should be here already"
    3. [adverb] to or at a greater distance in time or space (`farther' is used more frequently than `further' in this physical sense); "farther north"; "moved farther away"; "farther down the corridor"; "the practice may go back still farther to the Druids"; "went only three miles further"; "further in the future"
    4. [verb] promote the growth of; "Foster our children's well-being and education"
      Synonyms: foster
    5. [verb] contribute to the progress or growth of; "I am promoting the use of computers in the classroom"
      Synonyms: promote, advance, boost, encourage
    6. [adjective] existing or coming by way of addition; "an additional problem"; "further information"; "there will be further delays"; "took more time"
      Synonyms: additional, more
    7. [adjective] more distant in especially degree; "nothing could be further from the truth"; "further from our expectations"; "farther from the truth"; "farther from our expectations"
    Farther

Definition:
    1. [adverb] to or at a greater extent or degree or a more advanced stage (`further' is used more often than `farther' in this abstract sense); "further complicated by uncertainty about the future"; "let's not discuss it further"; "nothing could be further from the truth"; "they are further along in their research than we expected"; "the application of the law was extended farther"; "he is going no farther in his studies"
      Synonyms: further
    2. [adverb] to or at a greater distance in time or space (`farther' is used more frequently than `further' in this physical sense); "farther north"; "moved farther away"; "farther down the corridor"; "the practice may go back still farther to the Druids"; "went only three miles further"; "further in the future"
    3. [adjective] more distant in especially space or time; "they live in the farther house"
    4. [adjective] more distant in especially degree; "nothing could be further from the truth"; "further from our expectations"; "farther from the truth"; "farther from our expectations"
    As you can see, "further" is a synonym for "farther" in 3 out of 4 meanings. However, "further" has other meanings for which "farther" is not a synonym.

jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: quiet and silent, father and further

Dear Naamplao,

Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I understand them.

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by Naamplao View Post
    #1)"the still of the night" is a very common expression. Silence and quietness refer only to sound. "Still" refers to not only sound but also to movement.

So in the "the still of the night" refers to a time of night that is perfectly quiet and there is no movement (for example not even a soft wind blowing)

Silent means no sound at all. Quiet means very little sound

#2) Further/farther

You should be using a dictionary to resolve these questions.

Here are dictionary meanings of the two words from Online Dictionary: Meanings and Definitions - eLook.org

Further
    [/list]Farther
    [/list]As you can see, "further" is a synonym for "farther" in 3 out of 4 meanings. However, "further" has other meanings for which "farther" is not a synonym.