A GOOD TEACHER IS LIKE A CANDLE - it consumes itself to light the way for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aziz abd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
A very important question is to be raised here :
Does the poor student find in your eyes the same look with the same flame the rich one is given?Does (s)he hear the same voice,see the same facial expression,find the same reaction to mistakes... .?When the teacher is neutral when the social status,the look,the religion,the background.. .is concerned then we can talk about a GOOD TEACHER.

Mad-ox

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
A very important question is to be raised here :
Does the poor student find in your eyes the same look with the same flame the rich one is given?Does (s)he hear the same voice,see the same facial expression,find the same reaction to mistakes... .?When the teacher is neutral when the social status,the look,the religion,the background.. .is concerned then we can talk about a GOOD TEACHER.

Indeed it is not enough to be very good in your field. For example, being very good in English does not mean that you are a good teacher. A good teacher must also have other very relevent skills. One of them is COMMUNICATION. A good teacher must have very good communication (verbal, non-verbal) skills in order to convey what it is to be conveyed. S/he should take into account the level of the students. It's useless to explain something in an academic level for beginners and vice versa.

AiWin

Member Type
Academic
A good teacher is able to
1. build a good rapport with his/her students,
2. knows the students' learning capabilities and interest,
3. has effective teaching methodology to make his/her lessons interesting

aziz abd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
Teaching methods:
"The mediocre teacher tells, the good one explains, the superior one demonstrates, and the great teacher inspires"
William Arther Ward

A good teacher is made of pieces of experience not of quotes.

Yet, one should always learn from the others.

Last edited:

sheepmental

Member Type
Student or Learner
To me a good teacher is always happy. They make learning fun and help a student in whatever way they can. They encourage the students. They accept that everyone learns differently and work with them. They know their students and create a friendship with them.
I consider some of my favourite teachers to be like a friend. They know me well and understand me. I have the sort of teachers that are just like friends and wouldn't mind running up to and hugging them.
I think good teachers should also be accepting.

I believe the true test of a good teacher is if one of the students accidently calls them mum, and they dont mind, becuase they are like a mum in a way. A good mix of a friend and a mentor :)

aziz abd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
Hey, teachers ;here is the cheapest whiteboard in the world.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s5EvhHy7eQ&feature=related
and the IR pen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I568NyZLJkY&feature=related

Status
Not open for further replies.