A GOOD TEACHER IS LIKE A CANDLE - it consumes itself to light the way for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad-ox

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
A good teacher is also FUNNY!

Mad-ox

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
A good teacher is a good organiser!

ParkEnglish

Member Type
Other
1.) A good Teacher should know how to keep good relations with students.
2.) Teacher should ensure that all the students understand the basics before he (or she) starts teaching the next level of a subject.
3.) A good teacher should not only share their knowledge but should also encourage students to do better in the field of study.

Peter Drake - ParkEnglish Recruitment

Note: A real test of a good teacher is when they can perform great at an International English Language Teaching Position.

rocking

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
HI,
cartoon_teacher.gif

So how would you describe a good teacher?

Madox

A good teacher has to be super creative; s/he must outwit all those who dare to challenge him/her by convincing them that s/he could make a difference in one way or another. :)

eslch

Member Type
Other
For me a good teacher is to whom you remember throughout your life for his/her guidance.

davidbailey

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
You can't be a pushover and just do what the students want...because most don't really want to study to learn. They want you to wave your magic wand...or push a big red button that allows them to speak fluently and effortlessly...RIGHT NOW!

But you also can't do what you want...and force them to do it they way you want to. Or they get frutsrated and give up.

Mostly you have to learn how to motivate them. That means 'sell' them on what you are teaching them and why it is important. Explain why you are teaching this way...why this exercise is important...and how it will benefit them.

Sometimes its a disconnect between how they think they need to learn and the way they are being taught. Once they understand how it fits into the big pedagogical overview...they will do it without a problem.

If you are referring to children...most of the time I think it is because we underestimate their capabilities and don't provide enough stimulus. Kids are schockingly intelligent...even your most troublesome ones. ;)

Sohrab Khan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Hi,

If we keep on piling up all the stereotype epithets to describe what a good teacher is, the list would go endlessly.

For me, defintely, a good teacher is like an actor who caters to every student and every situation.

I once read a sentence in a book on semantics.

"A good teacher is a bad teacher."

The sentence seems a bit strange, but it does carry a lot of sense.

A teacher who teaches everything to his/her students is a good teacher, but in fact he is a bad teacher. A teacher should also leave something for his/her students to learn themselves.

Thanks

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
1.) A good Teacher should know how to keep good relations with students.
2.) Teacher should ensure that all the students understand the basics before he (or she) starts teaching the next level of a subject.
3.) A good teacher should not only share their knowledge but should also encourage students to do better in the field of study.

Peter Drake - ParkEnglish Recruitment

Note: A real test of a good teacher is when they can perform great at an International English Language Teaching Position.

Do you mean that ESL is the only subject good teachers teach?

ahmedabdu

Member Type
English Teacher
hi everyone. I think that a teacher is the one who lightens the candle to others to show them the way through darkness, s/he has the power or the lightness that is used to lighten others minds, teacher are the ones who stand at the front door of a dark room, people come carrying candles, and s/he lightens these candles to let them pass..:);-)

Mad-ox

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
A good teacher inspires students to want to do as well as possible or to know more.

aziz abd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
A GOOD TEACHER .......: WATCH " THE DEAD POETS SOCIETY"(FILM) OR "THE KINDERGARTEN COP"(FILM) . AND ONE SHOULD ALWAYS ASK HIM OR HERSELF (WHAT CAN AN OLD STUCK MIND TEACH A MODERN ONE HOW TO DEAL WITH THE FUTURE?)

The Linguist

Member Type
Other
First of all, I would like to thank Mad-ox for the thread. It was such an illuminating thread for me. I have read all the posts so far . Thank you all.

Well, I agree on " a good teacher must be a good leaner''
A good teacher never ceases to learn in oder to be one step ahead of his students.

A good teacher should be in a good command of what s/he teaches.
This applies to non-native teachers whose mother tongue is not English.

As you said, a good teacher should inspire and motivate their students to learn. I read this saying this moring ' to be interesting , you must be interested' . So true ! A good teacher should be interested and enthusiastic about what s/he teaches.

It goes without saying that a good teacher must prepare well in adavnce , be a good model to copy ..... etc

From a student perspective, I would say a good teacher is the teacher who inspires me to be great and who encourges me to do better.

A good teacher is the one who corrects me when I make any mistake without making me feel embasrassad.

A good teacher makes the most complex subjects explicit and clear .

Mad-ox

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
A good teacher is an eager beaver!

aziz abd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
A good teacher is, when his students say so.

aziz abd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
A good teacher smells he is; every moment in his own classroom.

Last edited:

rocking

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
To consume yourself does not mean to destroy yourself but to work and improve yourself. The 'job' of a candle is to consume itself, in other words to work for others. Your job as a teacher is to keep ''the light of the candle lit'' as much as possible, as long as possible. And the best way to develope our knowledge, our vocabulary, our language skills ( reading, listening, writing, speaking ) is to teach others. Since by teaching others you also teach yourself. When you teach, in fact, you revise/repete the subject matter. REPETITION IS THE MOTHER OF SKILL! A good teacher must devote him/herself to his/her job entirely.

Madox
When some teachers are tired of the work, it is not a bad idea to make room for new faces in the old jobs, as all human beings tend to have their own limits - however hard we try to be perfect.
Diversity of the individuals could add to the learners' benefits.

Mad-ox

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
When some teachers are tired of the work, it is not a bad idea to make room for new faces in the old jobs, as all human beings tend to have their own limits - however hard we try to be perfect.
Diversity of the individuals could add to the learners' benefits.

I totally agree with you! In my country, we also face such kind problem. Unfortanetelly, there are a great deal of old & tired of work teachers who DO not want to make rooms for the younger generations!

aziz abd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
I totally agree with you! In my country, we also face such kind problem. Unfortanetelly, there are a great deal of old & tired of work teachers who DO not want to make rooms for the younger generations!

Discover your students and with a bit of hard work you will be asked to give room for them (old & tired of work teachers).try.

blingenfelter

Member Type
English Teacher
It's interesting to look at movies - Dead Poets was mentioned, and early in my career, I remember Dangerous Minds got me emotional. Stand and Deliver and Mr. Holland's Opus were great. Recently, I really liked Freedom Writers. They all demonstrate a few truths about great teachers, but the truth I found most tragic in Freedom Writers was her sacrifice of family (husband) for the students - the problem is that I find this true. In our society, in order to be a "great" teacher, we're asked to work long hours, be at evening events, coach or direct extra-curriculars, all sorts of things "for the sake of the students."

So when I read the quote "a candle - it consumes itself" I found it sadly true. The greatest challenge facing teachers today is balance, and finding ways to leave work at work, or they will become burnt out like that candle.

Status
Not open for further replies.