A GOOD TEACHER IS LIKE A CANDLE - it consumes itself to light the way for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

beascarpetta

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Austria
Unfortunately, my topic was accepted with polemic in the negative sense and not in constructive criticism.
Madox

Dear Madox,

I sincerely apologize if I caused any feeling of discomfort or anger by addressing this topic the way I did.
I didn't mean to cause any harm.
Again I can't begin to tell you how deeply impressed I am by all the teachers who see teaching just as you do ;
nevertheless, I do believe that , as is done in any other forum on the Net , there should also be room for discussing the other side of the coin. :-D

b.

Last edited:

Mad-ox

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
''The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.'' William Arthur Ward

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
''The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.'' William Arthur Ward

Madox, where were you when I was an elementary school principal??? I would have hired you in a heart-beat! You have intelligence, passion, and appear to be self-motivated and self-directed! Keep up the good fight! We need more teachers of your stature!

Cheers,
Amigos4

Yoanna77

Member Type
English Teacher
I have been struggling with this since September. What is a good teacher? How can I be the one who inspires pupils and solves problems without thinking: "Oh, what am I doing here?"
Honestly, I am still searching for so many answers......And tips.

So what is a good teacher? Maybe the one who doesn't give up and still sees something good in each of its pupils ( even when they are afwul)?

Mad-ox

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
"Effective teachers make purpose and content explicit, plan carefully, use systematic assessment and feedback, make connections, encourage children to think about thinking and model what they want the children to do."

Veron1

Member Type
Student or Learner
A good teacher is a messenger who has to deliver a specific message to his or her students and to make them come up with other ideas and messages to deliver in return!

I.A;-)

Ngkhacphuoc

Member Type
English Teacher
Hi everyone,
When you burn yourself like a candle, you are not a good teacher. A good teacher gives his (her )students such interesting questions that they burn their candles all night to think about it, to look for it, to solve it, to explain it. A good teacher gives his students problems, then helps them to sove it if they can't, sometimes finds out that his students can have better solution that he has never thought of.

arij98

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Tunisia
Current Location
Tunisia
i think that a good teacher is someone who succeeds to make the most from his\her students and make patience and understanding his motto in teaching.

Mad-ox

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
The first trait of a high-quality teacher is that he/she is a good learner.

Madox

Mad-ox

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
HI,
cartoon_teacher.gif

So how would you describe a good teacher?

Madox

What students expect from a teacher?

mara_ce

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Effective teachers create learning atmospheres which are cognitively and affectively expanding; learning atmospheres which enable the learner to become a more adequate and knowledgeable person.
Pine and Boy

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I agree that great teachers do sacrifice themselves in many senses for their students.

rocking

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I love my job, but I wouldn't for the world of me accept it to consume me. Teaching with passion and love gives me the energy and inspiration I need to grow as an individual - and with me, my students will do that, too. The day I feel it is otherwise, I quit.

"A teacher being like a candle" seems to me a translation of a Chinese saying, which originally does imply (at least by the Chinese tradition) much selflessn sacrifice in the profession.

However, due to the increasing commercial trends of education nowadays, many teachers are not ready to teach and inspire more than their responsibility in the contract. this said, there are always (though rare) outstanding teachers who do more.

To my mind, a good teacher is someone who never abuses his/her students verbally; s/he has the talent to lead and inspire the students as their intellectual equals; someone who is willing to learn and knows his/her limits honestly and not shy to admit it; someone who has a genuine interest in every individual. No easy job, indeed.

Member Type
Other
English is one of the language which everyone should know. It is one language which spoken in many parts of the world. Thanks to new technology which makes easy for everyone to learn from where they are, I am talking about online learning. Communication is the only way to share the ideas & views, English has truly made the world smaller & univershttp://englishbox.co.uk/</SPAN>

pyoung

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A good teacher, unlike a candle, tries not to suck the air out of the room.

S/he maintains a healthy perspective regarding life and learning, sees students as complex individuals, researches and plans thoroughly, and tries not to waste anybody's time.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The last word. ;-)

A good teacher is someone people want to emulate (equal or surpass).

:)

itsme

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Zimbabwe
In my opinion, a good teacher is the one who really loves children/people, nature and life. The one is very patient and tolerant, knowing when having to be strict and when to be mild. Especially knowing to refrain from loosing temper and mastering his/her student's psychology is very needed.

Mad-ox

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
A good teacher creates a relaxing atmosphere in the class.

Jenny886686

Member Type
Other
In my opinion, a good teacher loves being a teacher and be knowledgeable, he/she loves and respects his/her students.

Bella Tulip

Member Type
Student or Learner
hi,

A good teacher is like a candle - it consumes itself to light the way for others. This statement refers to teachers who do their job (of teaching) with passion and love.

Madox

am totally with you..I am a K.G teacher..its really a hard job..but I like it

Status
Not open for further replies.