Thread: they? or those?

Post Thanks / Like

Default they? or those?

Hey guys, how’s everybody doing?

Well I have a question:

What do you think about this sentence?

Christmas and New Years are special occasion, where family members gather together. They represent joy and love.

My question is here did I use they correctly or can I say
    Those occasions represent joy and love. I was told by a friend that they, he, she, I represent humans and it represent objects.

Post Thanks / Like

Default they? or those?

Well I have a question:

Christmas and New Years are special occasion, where family members gather together. They represent joy and love.

Those occasions represent joy and love. I was told by a friend that they, he, she, I represent humans and it represent objects.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: they? or those?

Quote Originally Posted by gonghai

Well I have a question:

they can represent people and things. :D

Christmas and New Years are special occasions. They represent joy and love. (OK)

Note,

Christmas and New Years are special occasion where family members gather together. Those occasions represent joy and love.

By placing "They" after the noun phrase "family members",

...family members.... They represent joy and love.

the reader assumes "They" refers to "family members" because pronouns tend to refer back to the closest noun phrase.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I have a question:

Christmas and New Years are special occasions. They represent joy and love. (OK)

Note,

Christmas and New Years are special occasion where family members gather together. Those occasions represent joy and love.

the reader assumes "They" refers to "family members" because pronouns tend to refer back to the closest noun phrase.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea

Well I have a question:

Note,

oh i see now thanks cas

so.. those occasions would be the correct one to use and avoid confusions right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea

Well I have a question:

Note,

oh i see now thanks cas

so.. those occasions would be the correct one to use and avoid confusions right