• Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Default concern has left the building, find yourself in over your head

Hello everyone
    I'd like to ask about the meaning of the phrases "concern has left the building" and "You may find yourself in over your head". And does the phrase "as it were" means "so to speak" in this context?

A private recently promoted to a Sergeant and a major talking:

Hastings folded his hands. "Do you recall another part of our conversation the other day at Dix? When I told you to come to me if there were any difficulties due to your parentage?"
    "Yes, sir. And I turned you down because I didn't want to disrupt the chain of command."
    "I'm afraid that concern has left the buildng, as it were, Sergeant. You're part of the chain of command now, and I fear you may be its weak link. Your natural talent will only go so far. Therefore I want to reiterate my earlier offer. You may find yourself in over your head. If that's the case, I want you to talk to your fellow sergeants, and if fails, talk to me."

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: concern has left the building, find yourself in over your head

"Concern has left the building" is not, to my knowledge, an English expression. I've not heard it, and googling it didn't help.
    But "over one's head" is very common, an important expression.
    It usually means that you've taken on a task that you can't handle, can't manage. It's too difficult, too time-consuming, or requires more intelligence than you have.
    Once George Bush became president, it was obvious that the job was over his head.
    "As it were" and "so to speak" are similar in meaning, or lack of meaning.
    regards
    edward

KLPNO is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baqarah131 View Post
    "Concern has left the building" is not, to my knowledge, an English expression. I've not heard it, and googling it didn't help.
    But "over one's head" is very common, an important expression.
    It usually means that you've taken on a task that you can't handle, can't manage. It's too difficult, too time-consuming, or requires more intelligence than you have.
    Once George Bush became president, it was obvious that the job was over his head.
    "As it were" and "so to speak" are similar in meaning, or lack of meaning.
    regards
    edward
    Thank you very much, edward.

Post Thanks / Like

It's actually, that concern has left the building... The "that" refers to breaking the chain of command or not.
    The 'so to speak' indicates that he is using it figuratively. The sergeant's concern about breaking the chain of command is no longer relevant - out of the building - as he is part of the chain of command. Exactly why he chooses that expression may have some reference to something else in the movie.
    The sergeant may find that in trying to handle this issue (of his parentage) on his own, without advice from more senior people in the chain of command, it may be beyond his ability. He may be trying to bite off more than he can chew - he may be out of his depth, and he may be over his head.
    Last edited by David L.; 25-Nov-2007 at 11:06.

KLPNO is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    It's actually, that concern has left the building... The "that" refers to breaking the chain of command or not.
    The 'so to speak' indicates that he is using it figuratively. The sergeant's concern about breaking the chain of command is no longer relevant - out of the building - as he is part of the chain of command. Exactly why he chooses that expression may have some reference to something else in the movie.
    The sergeant may find that in trying to handle this issue (of his parentage) on his own, without advice from more senior people in the chain of command, it may be beyond his ability. He may be trying to bite off more than he can chew - he may be out of his depth, and it may be over his head.
    Thank you very much, David L.!