RL is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default celebrator/celebrant

Hi! :)

My english professor once mentioned that it's incorrect to use the word CELEBRANT (example: birthday celebrant), she says it's supposed to be CELEBRATOR. Is it true?! I still hear people use Celebrant more than Celebrator. Is there any difference between the 2?!

Thank you! :D

Post Thanks / Like

Default celebrator/celebrant

My english professor once mentioned that it's incorrect to use the word CELEBRANT (example: birthday celebrant), she says it's supposed to be CELEBRATOR. Is it true?! I still hear people use Celebrant more than Celebrator. Is there any difference between the 2?!

Susie Smith Guest

Default Re: celebrator/celebrant

Quote Originally Posted by RL

The American Heritage dictionary says:
    celキeキbrant (sオl套-brnt) n. 1.a. A person who participates in a religious ceremony or rite. b. The priest officiating at the celebration of the Eucharist. 2. A participant in a celebration.
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
    USAGE NOTE: Strictly speaking, celebrant should be reserved for an official participant in a religious ceremony or rite. In an earlier survey, however, a majority of the Usage Panel accepted the use of celebrant to mean 殿 participant in a celebration (as in New Year's Eve celebrants). In this more general sense, celebrator is an undisputed alternative.

Susie Smith Guest

celキeキbrant (sオl套-brnt) n. 1.a. A person who participates in a religious ceremony or rite. b. The priest officiating at the celebration of the Eucharist. 2. A participant in a celebration.
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
    USAGE NOTE: Strictly speaking, celebrant should be reserved for an official participant in a religious ceremony or rite. In an earlier survey, however, a majority of the Usage Panel accepted the use of celebrant to mean 殿 participant in a celebration (as in New Year's Eve celebrants). In this more general sense, celebrator is an undisputed alternative.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Susie Smith

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
    I see. Thanks, Susie Smith :)

Post Thanks / Like

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

Susie Smith Guest

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
    You're welcome. :)