Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What is 'purdy'?

Quote Originally Posted by HelpMe
    They are talking about their looks. And one thinks he has
    quite good look. Then he says like that

Think I might be purdy.

What does 'purdy' mean?

Always appreciate your help.
    purdy is a pronunciation variant of pretty.

Input: pretty
    Stress [r]: puretty
    Delete "e": pur_tty
    Voice "tt": purdy
    Output: purdy

All the best, :)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What is 'purdy'?

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Quote Originally Posted by HelpMe
    They are talking about their looks. And one thinks he has
    quite good look. Then he says like that

Think I might be purdy.

What does 'purdy' mean?

Always appreciate your help.
    purdy is a pronunciation variant of pretty.

Input: pretty
    Stress [r]: puretty
    Delete "e": pur_tty
    Voice "tt": purdy
    Output: purdy

All the best, :)
    Very fascinating information!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you can say 'very fascinating' (not gradable). Sorry to nitpick

FRC

Post Thanks / Like

Being picky is not a crime. :D

I've never noticed that 'fascinating' is not gradable. Is there any list that contains ungradable adjective? I believe it will be very helpful to ESL/EFL or English teachers. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Being picky is not a crime. :D

I've never noticed that 'fascinating' is not gradable. Is there any list that contains ungradable adjective? I believe it will be very helpful to ESL/EFL or English teachers. :D
    But...people use it. :D

I like it. :D

Quite fascinating. 8)

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, 'quite fascinating' is fine ('most fascinating' is fine too), but then I can say 'he's not quite dead' (whereas 'he's very dead' is wrong). Maybe 'gradable' is not the good term. Anyway, 'very fascinating' does sound weird, doesn't it?

FRC

Post Thanks / Like

• Non-gradable adjectives express qualities that cannot be intensified by using degree adverbs such as ‘very’, e.g. *‘very male’.

Notes The qualities expressed by non-gradable adjectives tend to be absolute, and they often fall into pairs, e.g. ‘male/female’, ‘married/single’, ‘black/white’, ‘true/false’. When such adjectives are modified by degree adverbs like ‘very’, the effect is sometimes to give emphasis rather than to express the degree of the characteristic expressed, e.g. ‘That’s very true’, ‘It was a very black day’. Alternatively, the nature of the adjective is changed: compare ‘I’m Scottish’ (= nationality) with ‘I’m very Scottish’ (= I have many Scottish characteristics).

FRC, I would like to ask you a question from a point of ESL learner. How can you distinguish from gradable to ungradable/non-gradable ajectives? For me, 'fascinating' is a hard one for me to categorize this as non-gradable adjective. There are some adjectives that I can think of now, would you please check if it is correct.

non-gradable: perfect/ fabulous/ fantastic/ awesome/ wonderful/ perfect

Can you provide some nore commonly used adjectives if there is any? Thank you.

Sources from here

Post Thanks / Like

non-gradable: perfect/ fabulous/ fantastic/ awesome/ wonderful/ perfect
    Yes, 'very perfect' is clearly wrong, likewise for the others. But 'quite fantastic' is fine for instance, etc. I would put 'fascinating' into that group.

How can I tell? Well, I just ask myself whether if the adjective divide the word in two eg. legal/illegal.
    Some more: acceptable, legal, moral, feasible, mortal, original, debatable...
    Yes, many work with 'very', but that's the meaning you put in red in your post: " the effect is sometimes to give emphasis rather than to express the degree of the characteristic expressed". Eg. I'm not sure it's very legal. This is a turn of speech; either it's legal, or it's not. Either it's an original painting, or it's not etc.
    Some words are too strong to be gradable, like awesome, fantastic etc. How can something be slightly fantastic? Likewise, slightly fascinating sounds wrong.

FRC

Post Thanks / Like

I must say I have to spend more time on developing a feeling of English. You just mentioned that 'fascinating' is not a gradable adjective. So it's a bit weird to use modifier 'very' in front of 'fascinating'.

Cas, what do you mean by "But...people use it"? Is this the case that I just mentioned in my previous post, to give emphasis rather than to express the degree of the characteristic expressed.

1. Cas' explanation is as fantastic as Mike's.
    ==> Although 'fantastic' is categorized into non-gradable adjective, one still can use this word as a posive degree in a sentence. Right?

2-a. Cas' explanation is more fantastic than Mike's.
    ==> Thus, I assume non-gradable adjective is not allowed in a comparative sentence. But I had myself persuade in this condition where both Cas' and Mike's explanations are fantastic. I'd like to make them in comparison deliberately, Cas' is more fantastic while Mike's is less fantastic.

Does that make sense?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast