Phylan78 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Classroom Language

Have 'peer teaching' (mock teaching) saturday, apparently it's important that we issue instructions at the correct language level.

Can anyone offer suggestions as to how I could introduce an object? For example a clock, a dog etc? If I hold a clock or a watch in front of the class what should I say? "What is this?".

I have been out of teaching for 4 years and while I know the correct activities....I'm not able to explain things as well I'd like....I'm not able to simplify things as much as I need to.....

I'd really appreciate help.

Thanks
    A

banderas is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Classroom Language

Quote Originally Posted by Phylan78 View Post

Can anyone offer suggestions as to how I could introduce an object? For example a clock, a dog etc? If I hold a clock or a watch in front of the class what should I say? "What is this?".
    Hi, how about this?

"Teacher: Is there a car in this picture? Yes, there is a car in that picture. Is there a book in this picture? No, there isn't a book in that picture.(Model the differnce between the question and answer by accenting 'is there' in the question and 'there is' in the response. )
    Teacher: Is there a computer in this picture?
    Student(s): Yes, there is a computer in that picture.
    Teacher: Is there a computer in this picture?
    Student(s): No, there isn't a computer in that picture.

Continue this exercise with the everyday objects images you have brought into class.

Part II: Are there four..., there are four...
    Teacher: Are there three cars in this picture? Yes, there are four cars in that picture. Are there two books in this picture? No, there aren't two books in that picture.(Model the differnce between the question and answer by accenting 'are there' in the question and 'there are' in the response. It is very important that you use specific numbers at this point as students are not yet familiar with 'some' and 'any')
    Part III: Students ask questions
    Teacher: (Hand each student a different illustration.) Susan, please ask Paolo a question.
    Student(s): Is there a car in this picture?
    Student(s): Yes, there is a car in that picture. OR No, there isn't a car in that picture.
    Student(s): Are there three books in this picture?
    Student(s): Yes, there are three books in this picture. OR No, there aren't three books in that picture."

Good luck!