1. JMR

teaching common words

English is not my first language and I am trying to do a course in how to teach English. It is not going so badly but some parts I get mixed up. I have to answer this question(which is not really so simple for me) and I would value your help. Would you teach the following words to beginners and if not, why not?

orange, student, hungry, telephone, car, angry.

I hope you don't mind helping me

• Post Thanks / Like
    The former calm maths student has now become a frantic trader, taking cocaine and orange juice at breakfast, as hungry as they come, on the telephone twelve hours a day, and getting angry at the end of the year when his bonus is only worth four or five luxury cars.

Now for the intermediate lesson.

FRC

2. Susie Smith

Re: teaching common words

Quote Originally Posted by JMR
    English is not my first language and I am trying to do a course in how to teach English. It is not going so badly but some parts I get mixed up. I have to answer this question(which is not really so simple for me) and I would value your help. Would you teach the following words to beginners and if not, why not?

orange, student, hungry, telephone, car, angry.

I hope you don't mind helping me
    I don't see why not. I wouldn't teach all of them the first week :), but they are common words whose meanings are easy to grasp without translation. You can teach student as the opposite of teacher when you are teaching common professions. Orange, car and telephone can be taught through pictures in association with colors. Keep it simple and go slowly at first.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like
    'Hungry' and 'angry' might cause pronunciation problems,so don't try to teach them alongside each other. Otherwise, I can't see anything wrong with any of the words.