Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40
  1. #1
    Anonymous Guest

    Default luggage, baggage

    luggage, baggage

    What is the difference between them? Thanks a lot!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,971
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: luggage, baggage

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    luggage, baggage

    What is the difference between them? Thanks a lot!
    They're synonyms. :D

    luggage comes from the verb lug, which means, to drag or carry with effort.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    289
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Luggage - Baggage

    Hi :wink:

    luggage is used in British English,

    baggage more in American English.

    That's what wanted to add :)

    Ulli

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    727
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Luggage - Baggage

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulli
    Hi :wink:

    luggage is used in British English,

    baggage more in American English.

    That's what wanted to add :)

    Ulli
    Baggage is also used in the sense of burden. She is his baggage - she depends on him, lives off him ....

  5. #5
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    In British airports, you get your luggage from baggage reclaim.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    289
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default In reply to tdol

    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    In British airports, you get your luggage from baggage reclaim.
    I wonder seriously what they are teaching in German schools


    Ulli :wink:

  7. #7
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We use both- baggage seems to be used more officially, in airports and the like. However, if talking about my suitcases, I'd call them luggage.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,971
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: In reply to tdol

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulli
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    In British airports, you get your luggage from baggage reclaim.
    I wonder seriously what they are teaching in German schools


    Ulli :wink:
    Hmm. I'd say, both are synonyms. Mind you, luggage does seem to be more European--and that men as well as children can also be called baggage. 8)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    289
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: In reply to Casiopea

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulli
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    In British airports, you get your luggage from baggage reclaim.
    I wonder seriously what they are teaching in German schools


    Ulli :wink:
    Hmm. I'd say, both are synonyms. Mind you, luggage does seem to be more European--and that men as well as children can also be called baggage. 8)
    ......that's the explanation 8)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,971
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: In reply to Casiopea

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulli
    ......that's the explanation 8)
    :D :D :wink:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •