• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile snow castle has risen/arisen out of the snow in Kemi,

Each winter as of 1996, the largest snow castle in the world has risen/arisen out of the snow in Kemi, Finland. World-renowned architects have designed each one to feature/highlight a Snow Hotel, Snow Restaurant and Snow Chapel, which is popular for weddings.

To begin with, are both risen and arisen work with the above wording? If not, why not?
    Second, does highlight sound as good as feauture in the context? Thanks.

Naamplao is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: snow castle has risen/arisen out of the snow in Kemi,

Quote Originally Posted by angliholic View Post
    Each winter as of 1996, the largest snow castle in the world has risen/arisen out of the snow in Kemi, Finland. World-renowned architects have designed each one to feature/highlight a Snow Hotel, Snow Restaurant and Snow Chapel, which is popular for weddings.

To begin with, are both risen and arisen work with the above wording? If not, why not?
    Second, does highlight sound as good as feature in the context? Thanks.
    As far as "feature/highlight" goes, I would choose "feature". Highlights are lesser items that add to the featured items

but I don't like the structure of the sentence in general.

The largest snow castle in the world rises out of the snow in Kemi, Finland each winter since 1996. World-renowned architects design each castle to feature a Snow Hotel, Snow Restaurant and Snow Chapel. The Snow Chapel is a popular attraction for weddings.

I would use the present tense here. I would make the last clause into a second sentence since it is really only the Snow Chapel that is popular with wedding parties. The rest is popular to everyone who goes there.

angliholic is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: snow castle has risen/arisen out of the snow in Kemi,

Quote Originally Posted by Naamplao View Post
    As far as "feature/highlight" goes, I would choose "feature". Highlights are lesser items that add to the featured items

but I don't like the structure of the sentence in general.

The largest snow castle in the world rises out of the snow in Kemi, Finland each winter since 1996. World-renowned architects design each castle to feature a Snow Hotel, Snow Restaurant and Snow Chapel. The Snow Chapel is a popular attraction for weddings.

I would use the present tense here. I would make the last clause into a second sentence since it is really only the Snow Chapel that is popular with wedding parties. The rest is popular to everyone who goes there.
    Thanks, Naamplao.
    I like your version better.
    I have some doubt, though.
    First, why doesn't arise/arisen work here?
    Second, would you explain in a few more words the differences between feature and highlight?

Naamplao is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angliholic View Post
    Thanks, Naamplao.
    I like your version better.
    I have some doubt, though.
    First, why doesn't arise/arisen work here?
    Second, would you explain in a few more words the differences between feature and highlight?
    I used the present tense since this is an event that is still going on. The "since 1996" establishes that it has a history. Using "has risen" (the only other choice) puts the emphasis on the past...not the present and continuing nature of this event.

FEATURE Meaning and Definition - Dictionary - eLook.org

HIGHLIGHT Meaning and Definition - Dictionary - eLook.org

The above are definitions of feature and highlight. You can see that feature means "major part" whereas highlight means "interesting part". What you are describing are major parts of the ice castle, not the interesting parts.

A highlight of the experience might be the arrival of Santa Claus on Christmas Eve if you were staying there, for example. It would be a special event!!!

angliholic is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Naamplao, for the helpful reply.

But I still don't see why arise/arisen does work.