Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, navi tasan,

This is an English Discussion forum where is a way of contacting people with similar interests or ideas from all over the world. :) Every now and then I have to admit I am on a waiting list as well, looking forward to a native's answer. But I have noticed that I would be happier to see everyone is reading my thread and they kindly offer their explanations. Through constant discussion, one can easily perceive their boo-boo and understand better. I'm sorry if my posts eat away at you.

BTW, I like your question. Let's see who will dash to help us out. :D Have a nice weekend there.

navi tasan is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Blacknomi,

I don't mind other "non-natives" reading my questions and responding to them. Actually, I like your questions too and I have learnt from them. I just think it would be better if we wait for a teacher to reply to the first question and then react to that reponse. Ask a second question, suggest another way of saying the same thing ... Go ahead step by step. That way the teachers will have the time to deal with each question seperately and an old fellow like me won't be confused. That's how I like to do it. But I wouldn't go so far as to say that your posts "eat away" at me.

As for the question, I thought this thread was getting too long, so I posted it here:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/UsingEnglish/messages

Go there and look in the learners part under "as much as".

You too have a nice weekend. I see that you live on Mars. That's funny, I live on the planet next to Mars for the time being.

Post Thanks / Like

Jupiter.

navi tasan is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Now why on Earth did you think that?
    I :hi:

P.S. I never manage to get these icons to work. I tried to put up the "hi" icon and see what I got! It must be this nasty weather we are having in Jupiter!!

P.S. 2: I just took a look at the "such as" thread. I'd say that there things went well, because we got one answer and then moved on from there. I am pretty proud of having started that one!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by navi tasan
    Now why on Earth did you think that?
    I

P.S. I never manage to get these icons to work. I tried to put up the "hi" icon and see what I got! It must be this nasty weather we are having in Jupiter!!

P.S. 2: I just took a look at the "such as" thread. I'd say that there things went well, because we got one answer and then moved on from there. I am pretty proud of having started that one!
    Yes, it must be bad weather. Somehow I couldn't see your animation. Maybe you should consult your amster, Dear Roman God. :wink:

Yes, that part worked very well. :D

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll ask Red about that- it's strange that the you get the code displayed not the emoticon.

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Hi,

According Michael Swan, 'she doesn't sing as well as me' is used in an informal style. I do think you can omit 'do', but it may produce ambiguity. I was trying to analyze from different points. Let's wait for Mike sensei. :wink:
    Sorry, I seemed to have missed this thread.

This issue centers around the use of "as" and there are experts on both sides of the issue, as is also true with "like".

Most grammarians that I have read would call "as" a conjunction in this construction and would say that "as" introduces a clause.

"She does not sing as well as I" is traditionally accepted as grammatically correct. The reason that the nominative pronoun is used is because the verb in that clause is understood (missing by ellipsis), as was already suggested by one of you.

"She does not sing as well as me" treats "as" as a preposition, which it isn't in that use. So this form is considered informal and not strictly grammatically correct.

A similar problem occurs when "like" (a preposition) is used as a conjunction. When an entire clause follws the word "like" is considered informal and not grammatically correct (in a strict sense). Both of these issues are on the fringe of traditional grammar. An "error" in these forms are not considered very serious and arev quite common in informal use.

Where it becomes important is in sentences such as:

She loves John more than me/I. In this case, "than" is a conjunction, but the correct form of the pronoun depends on what is ellipted in the second clause.

She loves John more than I (love John).
    She loves John more than (she loves) me.

In this case, we can only get the correct sense of the sentence if the grammar rules are strictly followed. If "informal" usage changes the conjunction to a preposition, we cannot tell what the sentence ending in "me" really means.

Post Thanks / Like

:D :D :D :D :D
    Thank you. < cuddle >

Post Thanks / Like

Do what you want but cuddling Captain America might not be particularly appropriate
    Though some may think it is after The Sentinel of Liberty (but I'm not one of them)

FRC

Post Thanks / Like

I will not play at tug o' war,
    I'd rather play at hug o' war,

Where everyone hugs
    Instead of tugs,

Where everyone giggles
    And roll on the rug,
    Where everyone kisses,
    And everyone grins,
    And everyone cuddles,
    And everyone wins.