Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default present perfect simple vs. present perfect continuous and some other questions

Hi there,

I wonder if you can help me with the following questions:

-What is the difference in meaning between "I have been living in Barcelona for 20 years" and "I've lived in Barcelona for twenty years"?
    or "I have stomachache because I've been eating chocolate" and "I have stomachache because I've eaten chocolate"?

Are these sentences correct?
    -He ordered too to give the child into the custody of the FBI (where should I put the "too"?)
    -When they had to separate their lives, they were both very sad about that
    -The lawyer helped them to get out of troubles
    -He tried to kill himself (is a "by" necessay here?) inhaling the gas in his car
    -He's very protective with her son
    -Put someone to/in prison
    -Do you say "in the end of the story" or "at the end of the strory"?
    -They had been very closed together, and she had been always there, when Mark needed her
    -She is sa woman that didn't have/hasn't had a very successful life, she was divorced, and didn't see her children.
    -She tries her best for her customers
    -The police recommended a witness protection programme, so they don't get found by the Mafia.They are scared the Mafia will try and find them.

Thanks a million!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: present perfect simple vs. present perfect continuous and some other questions

Present perfect simple - we use this when we are thinking about the result of an action in the past
    I've just eaten two bars of chocolate (and now I feel sick)
    He's just fallen over and cut his knee. I'll get him a plaster.
    Present perfect continuous - we use this when we are thinking about the result of an activity in the past
    I've been painting my bedroom yellow. (That's why my hands are covered in paint.)
    I've been working really hard recently. (That's why I feel so tired.)

For the simple form, the emphasis is on what you have achieved or finished. (The chocolate is finished - the stomach ache is a concrete result )

For the continuous form, it's on what the activity which was in progress. (Maybe you haven't fininished painting your bedroom yet, and maybe you'll be working hard tomorrow too.)