Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cloze

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I've searched "brown-nosed person" and "brown-nosing person" on Google. Both are used. Teachers, is there any difference?

Also I googled "adpat to live in",
    For the last 40 years, humans have been fascinated by the one habitat on the planet that they canít control or adapt to live in. From here I'm confused now. I think only noun or gerund can be allowed after 'to'. Would you help me out with this?

Post Thanks / Like

Teachers, still waiting your confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Hi,

I've searched "brown-nosed person" and "brown-nosing person" on Google. Both are used. Teachers, is there any difference?

Also I googled "adpat to live in",
    For the last 40 years, humans have been fascinated by the one habitat on the planet that they canít control or adapt to live in. From here I'm confused now. I think only noun or gerund can be allowed after 'to'. Would you help me out with this?

Post Thanks / Like

The food in the campus cafeteria is not all that good, but it will keep you _____.
    (1) live (2) alive
    Answer: (2)
    I agree the answer. But I think (1) can be an adjective, meaning to be alive. Can one choose (1)?

If you have old furniture to sell, you can put ___ on the bulletin board outside the grocery store.
    (1) a note (2) a notice (3) an ad (4) a phone number
    I don't see what's wrong with other answers, they can make sense.
    (1) You put a note on it. Your note may includes details.
    (2) An ad? Why not?
    (3) You can give me a call for furniture selling infomation.

How many people do you expect to attend the trade ____?
    (1) exhibitor (2) display
    Answer: (1)
    I think (2) is OK. What do you think?

Hello, I'd like to know if I can register ___ the phone?
    (1) on (2) over (3) by
    I think you use 'over' to mean 'a means', right? How about 'by the phone?'
    We talked on the phone, why not I register "on" the phone?

Are you looking for natural pearls or ___ pearls?
    (1) artificial (2) cultured
    You have artificial flowers, don't you?

I think that the September 11th _____ made New Yorkers nicer and brought them together.
    (1) attack has (2) attacks have
    Disagreed. Since we use a definite article in front of "Sep 11th", I'd think it is an event, pluralization is not a good idea. So I think (1) is better. What do you think?

I look forward to your answers. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the answer. But I think (1) can be an adjective, meaning to be alive. Can one choose (1)?
    These kind of exam questions test the accuracy of your vocabulary. Most often, several answers seem to fit, or could fit with some particular context, but there's only one best choice. You would not generally say that a person is 'live', unless you're at a poker table (we call a player "a live one" if he gives too much action, plays too many hands etc.), and probably in some other particular contexts. A cable can be live if it carries electricity, too. And so on. But a person is alive ;)

I don't see what's wrong with other answers, they can make sense.
    (1) You put a note on it. Your note may includes details.
    (2) An ad? Why not?
    (3) You can give me a call for furniture selling infomation
    Again, accuracy. One puts notices on a bulletin board. It contains information for people to... notice. While the other choices might work, and you would be understood, the correct answer is notice. One generally doesn't make ads with catchy slogans to sell their old furnitures. A mere phone number might not be the most effective way to quickly sell your stuff. Etc.

I think (2) is OK. What do you think?
    Yeah, "trade display" looks ok. It's not easy for us, ESL students, is it? Let's see what the teachers say.

I think you use 'over' to mean 'a means', right? How about 'by the phone?'
    We talked on the phone, why not I register "on" the phone?
    "By the phone" means you're close to it eg. by the window. To say 'do something using the phone/radio', you must use "over". To be on the phone means you're busy talking to someone over the phone.

You have artificial flowers, don't you?
    Yes, but natural in this context (pearls) is clearly opposed to cultured. Again, that's the answer that fits best.

Disagreed. Since we use a definite article in front of "Sep 11th", I'd think it is an event, pluralization is not a good idea. So I think (1) is better. What do you think?
    You know what 9/11 is, don't you?? There were several plane crashes.

FRC

Post Thanks / Like

1. Thanks for the correction. I agree with what you said. In Chinese, we only say "I agree you say." Simple and easy. And I know better than I can write. Sometimes I just hate myself so much, it's so stupid to make a boo-boo like this. I am losing my cool. :(

FYI
    "he is live" 2,260 hits on Google.
    "he is alive" 56,700 hits on Google.

2. Hm, when you say "Again, accuracy", I have to say uncle. 8)

3. I guess "cultured pearl" is idiomatic. And if I use "artificial pearl", no one would get me wrong. Well, I start to hate English now.

You know what 9/11 is, don't you?? There were several plane crashes.
    That makes perfect sense. But since we have definite article 'the' in the front, I'd think it's a specific event that we shouldn't pluralize it. "the 911 attack" and "the 911 attacks" are both acceptable.

Sometimes I am picky at learning English, in that way, I can get more feeling of it and develop better judgement towards English.

FRC, thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

And I know better than I can write
    I know you do.

Hm, when you say "Again, accuracy", I have to say uncle.
    Didn't get this one :|

I guess "cultured pearl" is idiomatic. And if I use "artificial pearl", no one would get me wrong. Well, I start to hate English now.
    You actually just need to hate these kinds of questions :)

That makes perfect sense. But since we have definite article 'the' in the front, I'd think it's a specific event that we shouldn't pluralize it. "the 911 attack" and "the 911 attacks" are both acceptable.
    The definite article is necessary because we're not talking about just any September 11th. I can say "the X-mas presents", although there's a definite article.

Sometimes I am picky at learning English, in that way, I can get more feeling of it and develop better judgement towards English.
    That's fine!

FRC

Post Thanks / Like

When concerning accuracy, I feel frustrated. Say uncle, meaning I have to admit my failure. I have to surrender myself to the great excuse you mentioned, which is 'accuracy.' 8)

I wish I could escape from the hell of cloze, but I'm afraid I have more nit-picky students wailing at the lowest level in the hell.

Post Thanks / Like

By imposing a tax on work-force adjustment, ...........

Does that mean wages?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    By imposing a tax on work-force adjustment, ...........

Does that mean wages?
    I'm not going to bury this thread. :)

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't work- force adjustment mean downsizing\rightsizing?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast