MACINTOSH is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice Needed about Tefl

Hi, My name is John and i am from Ireland. For some time now i have been interested in in doing a tefl course so as to teach abroad. My main problem is that i don't know where to start. I do not have a college degree and I am yet to to a tefl course. Can somebody tell me what my next move is. I would like to do a good tefl course, around 80 hours online. but i would like to try and secure work within the next 5/6 weeks with the hope of leaving Ireland for somewhere in asia by the end of January '08. Is this even possible? Is it possible to secure a job on the basis that i will complete the course having started a job? Please Help!!

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Advice Needed about Tefl

It might be possible, but I think it will be difficult; there's no shortage of teachers who have already qualified. Also, take great care with online courses if you are planning to do one as many are dreadful and will not give youmuch in the way of a recognised qualification. Check out not only the course provider but also the accreditation, as there are cases where the accreditation agency has been set up by the course providers. To be honest, I would still recommend getting the CELTA because it is the most widely recognised.

ICAL_Pete is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Advice Needed about Tefl

CELTA has a high profile in Europe and is undoubtedly a popular qualification that will open many doors however it is also true that in most places the basic requirements for entry level teaching positions are a degree plus a TESL/TEFL certificate - not necessarily a CELTA. A CELTA course is also quite an intensive course, worth perhaps investing into if your aim is to remain within the ESL industry and build a career in this field. However if someone like yourself is starting up and would like to be equipped to teach around the world then a quality online teacher training course like ours will allow them to get a taster of the ELT profession and see if it is really for them before committing time, effort and finances to get to the next level.

Online courses offer a great training opportunity at entry level. They can provide a thorough grounding in a new career and the right tools to approach a new profession within a manageable amount of time and finances. Of course, check out the course and course provider first – in fact, be sure you do this with any course you decide to go for, regardless of whether it is a traditional onsite course or an online one.

I think though your main hurdle could be not having a degree, as this is often a requirement of the countries and their visa regulations. In many countries you will need to hold a degree if you want to obtain your work visa and work legally. This is especially true in Asian countries. Where are you planning to move to?