• China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

effect and affact

Dear teachers,

I am confused by the following sentences:

No.1
    Climate has a great effect on people's lives. This sentence means 'Climate changes peple's lives'. Is that right? Can I say 'Climate has a great affection on people's lives'?

No.2
    Weather affects the way people feel, too. Does it mean 'Weather has an effect on people's feeling'? And does it mean it is a bad thing?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Post Thanks / Like

Re: effect and affact

effect is the noun form while affect is the verb form.

In your first sentence, you are right in the meaning that people are influenced by climate. However, you cannot replace effect by affection. Affection means a feeling of liking for a person or place.

In your second sentence, the meaning is similar to what you say in the thread. I don't think it has a negative sense.

I hope that helps!

Post Thanks / Like

ONI is correct.

All I can add is that even native speakers have problems with "affect" and "effect", so if you see "affect" when it should be "effect", don't be confused.

Also, the verb "to effect" does exist, but it means something slightly different. You won't ever need to use it, but if you see a sentence like, "He effected many changes," it means that he caused many changes to happen.

So: normally, "effect" is a noun and "affect" is a verb. But if you see "effect" as a verb, it probably means "to make something happen"; and if you see "affect" as a noun, it's probably a spelling mistake.

jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi ONI,

Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I see.

Best wishes,

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by ONI View Post
    effect is the noun form while affect is the verb form.

In your first sentence, you are right in the meaning that people are influenced by climate. However, you cannot replace effect by affection. Affection means a feeling of liking for a person or place.

In your second sentence, the meaning is similar to what you say in the thread. I don't think it has a negative sense.

I hope that helps!

jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear rewboss,

Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I see.

Best wishes,

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by rewboss View Post
    ONI is correct.

All I can add is that even native speakers have problems with "affect" and "effect", so if you see "affect" when it should be "effect", don't be confused.

Also, the verb "to effect" does exist, but it means something slightly different. You won't ever need to use it, but if you see a sentence like, "He effected many changes," it means that he caused many changes to happen.

So: normally, "effect" is a noun and "affect" is a verb. But if you see "effect" as a verb, it probably means "to make something happen"; and if you see "affect" as a noun, it's probably a spelling mistake.