• Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Greetings

Dear teachers,

I have two questions to ask:

1. When I was learning English as a beginner I learned from the textbooks that in a shop a shop assistant would greet you with 'Can I help you?'. But when I watch TV I heard a shop assistant say something like 'How is everything?'. Is it a special case or shop assistants have changed their way of addressing their customers? And how should a customer reply to this greeting?

2. I also noticed in a film that when people meet each other they said somthing like 'Hi, there' or maybe 'Hi, they'. From the context it functions like 'Hi'. Am I right? If I am, when do people use it? Is it used in informal situation and to friends?

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Greetings

Quote Originally Posted by jiang
    1. When I was learning English as a beginner I learned from the textbooks that in a shop a shop assistant would greet you with 'Can I help you?'. But when I watch TV I heard a shop assistant say something like 'How is everything?'. Is it a special case or shop assistants have changed their way of addressing their customers? And how should a customer reply to this greeting?
    Some salespeople believe "Can I help you?", the answer to which is either "Yes" or "No", might cost them a sale, so they alter their language so as to gain a sale,

Q: How may I help you?
    A: I'm looking for ~ I'm not sure ~

2. I also noticed in a film that when people meet each other they said somthing like 'Hi, there' or maybe 'Hi, they'. From the context it functions like 'Hi'. Am I right? If I am, when do people use it? Is it used in informal situation and to friends?
    Hi, there is used with friends, and even with strangers you feel comfortable with. :D

I look forward to hearing from you is rather formal. :wink:

jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I see.
    Could you please make a suggestion as to what to use instead of 'I am looking forward to hearing from you"?

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Some salespeople believe "Can I help you?", the answer to which is either "Yes" or "No", might cost them a sale, so they alter their language so as to gain a sale,

Q: How may I help you?
    A: I'm looking for ~ I'm not sure ~

Hi, there is used with friends, and even with strangers you feel comfortable with. :D

I look forward to hearing from you is rather formal. :wink:

Post Thanks / Like

Could you please make a suggestion as to what to use instead of 'I am looking forward to hearing from you"?

Jiang
    Forums/Email: Looking forward to your reply.

jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

:D
    Now I see. I hope, if it doesn't bother you too much, you could always point out my mistakes or inapproriate use of English.

Jiang

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea

Jiang
    Forums/Email: Looking forward to your reply.