Thread: Pronounce

aviator1978 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pronounce

Hi.I'm studying at GEOS LTC School in England for general Englısh, but I've 8 weeks now. Sometimes I'm confusing with articles. Especially "the" I also work in the Grand Hotel who is a waiter. I usually get speaking opportunity with customers, however sometimes I don't understand them, because some of the customers are speak English very very fast. Could you give me an advise for how can I improve my listening skill? I hope my English had good enough before go back my country. Thank you so much for a beautiful web site.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pronounce

Quote Originally Posted by aviator1978 View Post
    Hi.I'm studying at GEOS LTC School in England for general Englısh, but I've 8 weeks now. Sometimes I'm confusing with articles. Especially "the" I also work in the Grand Hotel who is a waiter. I usually get speaking opportunity with customers, however sometimes I don't understand them, because some of the customers are speak English very very fast. Could you give me an advise for how can I improve my listening skill? I hope my English had good enough before go back my country. Thank you so much for a beautiful web site.
    Welcome to the forums.

You can only improve by constant practice and listening only to English. This link gives some valuable advice: Listening Skills

You could also look at this one: English Listening Skills and Activities-Effective Listening Practice for ESL EFL Learners and Teachers

With your customers, if they are speaking too fast, try saying "I am sorry, I am afraid I did not catch that. Would you repeat it more slowly?"

Can you give some examples of where you have confused the use of "the"?