chinalucy is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default can you explain this sentence to me?

Dear teacher:
    I just want to know what the meaning is for these three sentences. I came across them in a blog. One is " to stick a fork in it", the other one is " call it done", still another one is " there comes a point that", thank you! I am looking forward to your replies.

Naamplao is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: can you explain this sentence to me?

Quote Originally Posted by chinalucy View Post
    Dear teacher:
    I just want to know what the meaning is for these three sentences. I came across them in a blog. One is " to stick a fork in it", the other one is " call it done", still another one is " there comes a point that", thank you! I am looking forward to your replies.
    Context is important in telling you what is meant. Produce the complete sentence...not just the part you don't understand. With the complete sentence we can be sure what the author means.

Post Thanks / Like

"call it done" : if someone asks a favour of me, that requires some action in the future (as opposed to right then and there), then I might indicate my ready willingness to help out by telling them they can consider it already done, that's how willing I am and certain to do what they are asking - 'call it done'.

" there comes a point that" : I can be patient/tolerant for just so long, but there comes a point when enough is enough and I won't tolerate it anymore.
    It is that moment, that dividing line when something has reached unacceptable proportions and one needs to intervene to do something about it, stop it.

" to stick a fork in it" : this one really needs a context. The only thing that occurs to me when it's like, stick a fork in it and see if it squeals. It would mean, take some action designed to test and identify a situation for what it really is. In a more specific way, at a barbecue, someone might ask, are the sausages cooked? Someone else might reply, stick a fork in it and see if it squeals. That is, is it cooked or still 'alive'. It's a humourous response.
    Last edited by David L.; 08-Dec-2007 at 07:09.

chinalucy is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    "call it done" : if someone asks a favour of me, that requires some action in the future (as opposed to right then and there), then I might indicate my ready willingness to help out by telling them they can consider it already done, that's how willing I am and certain to do what they are asking - 'call it done'.

" there comes a point that" : I can be patient/tolerant for just so long, but there comes a point when enough is enough and I won't tolerate it anymore.
    It is that moment, that dividing line when something has reached unacceptable proportions and one needs to intervene to do something about it, stop it.

" to stick a fork in it" : this one really needs a context. The only thing that occurs to me when it's like, stick a fork in it and see if it squeals. It would mean, take some action designed to test and identify a situation for what it really is. In a more specific way, at a barbecue, someone might ask, are the sausages cooked? Someone else might reply, stick a fork in it and see if it squeals. That is, is it cooked or still 'alive'. It's a humourous response.
    Thank you very much,David. It is very kind of you to give so detail answers to me. I really enjoy this studying atmosphere here. Though I am a new comer to this website, I become taken a shine to it.