baraah is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default English and Music

I have a 3 years old son and I talk with him only in Eng., recently i have bought a c.d. called super songs for young learners and it helps him alot. he can sing along with the music. is this enough for him or should i explain the words of the songs?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: English and Music

If it's the kind of songs which have actions, it can be useful to do the actions with him to reinforce the language. This kind of physical reenforcement of the language can work quite well with very young learners.

If you want, sometimes when you play the music you can echo the words in your own language, though don't expect him to take it all in - it might go into his language centres or it might not - just stay really relaxed about it.

Anyway, it's a great thing to do for your son! Hope he keeps on enjoying it - it really is the best way to learn.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a large stack of Learning CD's and I believe they really work. I believe your child learns from them faster because he finds the style new and fun. Maybe you should try teaching him the definitions too as well as the proper spelling of the new words he just learned.

Amigos4 is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baraah View Post
    I have a 3 years old son and I talk with him only in Eng., recently i have bought a c.d. called super songs for young learners and it helps him alot. he can sing along with the music. is this enough for him or should i explain the words of the songs?
    baraah,

Let your son enjoy the music! What a great way to introduce him to English.

I don't speak a word of Hebrew but I enjoy attending temple and listening to the cantor sing! I don't speak Italian but I enjoy listening to opera! Sometimes, the joy is just being part of the whole experience!

Cheers,
    Amigos4

Post Thanks / Like

Getting young children to learn another language is a very sensitive process. You have to be very careful since the first impression is often the most significant thing that will be engraved in his/her mind. I have had many students who hated English before attending my classes, and I made them motivated - I made them enjoy what they were learning. You may want to knw why they didn't like English once? Simple. Because their first impression of learning English had beed very rough, incorrect, and irritating. I would absolutely be the same if I had been in their shoes. Children are very sensitive about this first impression!!!
    Some linguists say that learning two languages at the same time is going to enforce a lot of pressure on children, and they grow up to be depressed by the pass of time - let alone other problems that may happen. This is not true at all if you help your child take a smooth introduction. Children like those rhymes, songs, vividly colorful educational pictures, and even certain cartoons on TV which are in English. You should help them enjoy what they like and also help them learn something - in this case basic English - in a fun way.
    You may find this weird, but I personally watch cartoons with my little brother at times and start laughing at a certain scene out of the blue. My brother says:"What are you laughing at? come on, tell me what happened?! I like to know what happened that you're laughing?" and I exactly feel that the suspense encourages him to become motivated to learn English to enjoy what he watches even more!!!
    Keep on doing what you are already doing, but do as you yourself are enjoying this too, or else your child will indirectly understand that he's got a naughty teacher at home and starts thinking like IS SHE MY MOM OR MY ENGLISH TEACHER?
    It's ok to be both of course!!! and very enjoyable at times!

Ruholla Kazemi
    EFL Teacher
    EAP Teacher
    English Teacher Trainer
    Last edited by godfingers; 23-Feb-2008 at 15:18.