• China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Greetings

Dear Teachers,

I have two questions to ask:

No.1
    It's said in North America sometimes people say 'We'll have coffee/lunch someday' to mean 'Goodbye'. My question is how we should reply? Should I say 'Goodbye'?

No.2
    When I watch a film the wife asked her husband 'How is your day'? But it seems the husband didn't tell her about his day, such as work. As far as I can identify, he only said something like OK. My questions are: 1. Does it mean the question is something like 'Hi'? So the listener does have to take it seriously? And 2. Is it a question only used among husband and wife or it can also be used among colleagues? 3. Is OK the standard reply?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Post Thanks / Like

I'm no teacher, but here are my answers:

It's said in North America sometimes people say 'We'll have coffee/lunch someday' to mean 'Goodbye'. My question is how we should reply? Should I say 'Goodbye'?
    You can say:
    Yeah, will call you. Later!
    Sure.
    Anytime!
    (you must answer the proposition somehow, even though nothing is fixed yet).

When I watch a film the wife asked her husband 'How is your day'? But it seems the husband didn't tell her about his day, such as work. As far as I can identify, he only said something like OK. My questions are: 1. Does it mean the question is something like 'Hi'? So the listener does have to take it seriously? And 2. Is it a question only used among husband and wife or it can also be used among colleagues? 3. Is OK the standard reply?
    You can answer 'ok' if you don't want to elaborate on the question. It is generally asked out of politeness, or meaning 'anything special at the office today?'. If you did you personal assistant, you usually answer 'no, no!'.

FRC

jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your reply. But why should we 'no, no' ? Does this mean my day is not good?

Jiang

Quote Originally Posted by Francois
    I'm no teacher, but here are my answers:

You can say:
    Yeah, will call you. Later!
    Sure.
    Anytime!
    (you must answer the proposition somehow, even though nothing is fixed yet).

You can answer 'ok' if you don't want to elaborate on the question. It is generally asked out of politeness, or meaning 'anything special at the office today?'. If you did you personal assistant, you usually answer 'no, no!'.

FRC

Post Thanks / Like

'anything special at the office today?'. If you did you personal assistant, you usually answer 'no, no!'.
    You would answer 'no, no!' to the question 'anything special....?'. If you're asked 'how was your day?', you can't answer that of course (unless your day drove you crazy).

FRC