Thread: human race?

• Post Thanks / Like

Question human race?

Dear teachers,

This time I'd like to know what the terms for people from different races are. For example, we call people from Europe, the white people; people from Asia, the yellow people; those from Africa, the black people. What is the other race? I believe there are altogether 4 races. Also, do you know if classifying them by colour is all right or not?

Thank you!

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: human race?

In America it is no longer politically correct to refer to peoples race by the color of their skin. Therefore people from Europe would be referred to as Europeans; people from China and India Asians; people from South America as Latins or South Americans; people from Africa as Africans. I am not sure about the rest of the English speaking world since these things have less to do with language and more to do with politics.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ONI View Post
    Dear teachers,

This time I'd like to know what the terms for people from different races are. For example, we call people from Europe, the white people; people from Asia, the yellow people; those from Africa, the black people. What is the other race? I believe there are altogether 4 races. Also, do you know if classifying them by colour is all right or not?

Thank you!
    hi...
    Actually, nowadays race is consider to be more a social or mental construct than an objective biological fact, but i think it doesn't really matter if you classify them by color/colour...but of course, in general term people that came from other race called foreigner...

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hi_there_Carl View Post
    In America it is no longer politically correct to refer to peoples race by the color of their skin. Therefore people from Europe would be referred to as Europeans; people from China and India Asians; people from South America as Latins or South Americans; people from Africa as Africans. I am not sure about the rest of the English speaking world since these things have less to do with language and more to do with politics.
    Thanks! But what about in biological terms? Do you know how they are called?

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rhapsody_08 View Post
    hi...
    Actually, nowadays race is consider to be more a social or mental construct than an objective biological fact, but i think it doesn't really matter if you classify them by color/colour...but of course, in general term people that came from other race called foreigner...
    Thanks! But what about in biological terms? Do you know how they are called?