• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What does "crept into modern translations" mean here?

Hello Everyone,

A few days ago I read a yahoo online report about the differences between mormonism and Christianity!

There is a paragraph selected from the report and there are two phrases I can't understand!

Many non-Mormons dispute claims that the faith's central text, the Book of Mormon, is a valid account of Jesus' dealings with ancient Americans. Mormons believe the book was translated through revelation by founder Joseph Smith from a set of buried golden plates. It's one of three texts from Smith, who also drafted his own version of the Bible, (altering many of its passages in light of what he said were errors that had crept into modern translations.)

I would like to know here what is meaning of the phrases in the bracket?

Does it mean that Joseph Smith alterted part of the original bible because he thought that the bible translated by others had shifted from the original meaning by translations?

Also I would like to know here whether it is possible for you to tell me the background of Jesus' dealings with ancient Americans?

Thanks and Best Regards

Sky

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What does "crept into modern translations" mean here?

Quote Originally Posted by sky753 View Post
    Does it mean that Joseph Smith alterted part of the original bible because he thought that the bible translated by others had shifted from the original meaning by translations?
    Yes, that's right.

Also I would like to know here whether it is possible for you to tell me the background of Jesus' dealings with ancient Americans?
    Mormons believe that Jesus appeared to, amongst others, Native Americans over 1500 years ago. Other Christian demoninations do not believe this, and the only evidence is the Book of Mormon, which the founder of the movement claimed was dictated to him by an angel.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What does "crept into modern translations" mean here?

Re. the other questions:
    (altering many of its passages in light of what he said were errors that had crept into modern translations.)
    "in light of" is a phrase that I've noticed only fairly recently in British English; in my youth we always said "in the light of" with the meaning 'considering' or 'bearing in mind'.

When something 'creeps into' a book/translation/account/story it appears stealthily - without anyone noticing/paying attention/being aware. Joseph Smith believed that modern translations of the Bible had undergone this sort of change.

b