dirk is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Please help and comment on my essay

I wrote this essay for the book name "Slaughter House-Five" written by Kurt Vonnegut. Also can someone help me with giving this thing a title...I can't think of any. Thank you in advance to whoever post comments about my essay :)

The whole idea of the “Slaughter’ House-Five” written by Kurt Vonnegut is the cruelty in war and that war is inevitable. In the story, a man name Billy Pilgrim were abducted by alien and he also has the ability to time travel. Billy Pilgrim can see a perspective of life that no one can because of his unique ability and what he learned with the Tralfamadorians.

Vonnegut often mentioned “So it goes” whenever the main character, Billy Pilgrim, sees someone die. The reason to that is because with Billy’s ability to time travel he can always travel back to when that person is still alive. Not only he learned that from experience but he also learned that from the Tralfamadorians. On page 27 is when Billy mentions about learning it from the Tralfamadorians:

“When a Tralfamadorian sees a corpse, all he thinks is that the dead person is in bad condition in that particular moment, but that the same person is just fine in plenty of other moments. Now, when I myself hear that somebody is dead, I simply shrug and say what the Tralfamadorians say about dead people, which is ‘So it goes.’”

Based on page 27 passage, Vonnegut thinks that even though, many peoples die in war but they’re fine at any other given moments. Through the story I can see that Vonnegut’s perspectives are very much like ours. His perspective is just the same as most of us is that war is horrible. One key different from his perspective from ours is that he think war is the inevitable. War is like Billy’s ability to time travel; we cannot stop or control it. It is useless to attempt to stop the inevitable. Like his main character in the story, Vonnegut trying to tell us to find a healthy way to cope with the war instead of trying to prevent the war.

Even though, we may think that Vonnegut’s perspective is radical and unemotional but to him is just a sensible way to deal with war. There are only two ways that a man can cope with war and that is emotional way and sensible way. Vonnegut chose the sensible way because it’s a healthier way to deal with war.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Please help and comment on my essay

The main idea of the “Slaughter’ House-Five” written by Kurt Vonnegut is the cruelty in war and that war is inevitable. In this story a man name Billy Pilgrim were abducted by (an) alien(s) and he also has the ability to time travel. Billy Pilgrim can see a perspective of life that no one can because of his unique ability and what he learned with the Tralfamadorians.

Vonnegut often mentions “So it goes” whenever the main character Billy Pilgrim, sees someone dying. The reason for this is because with Billy’s ability to time travel he can always travel back to when that person is still alive.
    Not only did he learn this from his experience but he also learned it from the
    Tralfamadorians. On page 27 Billy mentions about learning it from the Tralfamadorians:

“When a Tralfamadorian sees a corpse, all he thinks is that the dead person is in bad condition in that particular moment, but that the same person is just fine in plenty of other moments. Now, when I myself hear that somebody is dead, I simply shrug and say what the Tralfamadorians say about dead people, which is ‘So it goes.’”

Based on page 27 passage, Vonnegut thinks that even though, many people die in the war they are fine at any other given moments. Throughout the story I can see that Vonnegut’s perspectives are very much like ours. His perspective is just the same as most of us is that war is horrible. One key different from his perspective from ours is that he thinks war is the inevitable. War is like Billy’s ability to time travel; we cannot stop or control it. It is useless to attempt to stop the inevitable. Like his main character in the story, Vonnegut is trying to tell us to find a healthy way to cope with the war instead of trying to prevent the war.

Even though, we may think that Vonnegut’s perspective is radical and unemotional to him it is just a sensible way to deal with war. There are only two ways that a man can cope with war and that is the emotional way and the sensible way. Vonnegut choses the sensible way because it’s a healthier way to deal with war.

Post Thanks / Like

What is the main idea the author is trying to convey in Slaughter’ House-Five?

couldnt think of anything else. sorry.

ninonokoibito is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

dear dirk
    Isn't it OK if we share this topic to post our essays. I don't want to make a new topic, I'm preparing for my essay and I really need to have feedback from everybody ^^

dirk is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ninonokoibito View Post
    dear dirk
    Isn't it OK if we share this topic to post our essays. I don't want to make a new topic, I'm preparing for my essay and I really need to have feedback from everybody ^^
    yea sure...I don't mind at all

dirk is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you beya for the comments