Unregistered Guest

Does that sentence make sense (in and out of context)

"Outcomes of the study included operative time, fluid content in the suction balloon (drainage volume) during the first 24 hours after surgery, postoperative pain, and incidence of complications"

Context: its about a study in which 2 different surgical methods are compared, and in one of the methods the result is that the operation time is smaller, drainage volume is less, less pain afterwards and less complications.

Does that sentence above make sense then ? Thats how they published it in the journal at least.
    And if it was out of context could it be a correct sentence. To me it would only make sense if you would put; Measured outcomes of the study were....

Thoughts?

gabriel21 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does that sentence make sense (in and out of context)

Outcome= result/effect (?)

results of the OPERATION method include LESS pain, LESS time, LESS postoperative compliucations etc...

but results of the STUDY include Postoperative complications, pain, operative time, drainage volume etc...

I get confused though. Please correct me

Post Thanks / Like

"Outcomes of the study compared operative time, fluid content in the suction balloon (drainage volume) during the first 24 hours after surgery, postoperative pain, and incidence of complications"

gabriel21 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

ah yes.. with 'compare' its much better
    thanks for the answer.

But does the sentence make any sense as it is in the first post? I am not sure about the word "outcomes"

Post Thanks / Like

No - what are listed are the experimental variables, not the outcomes. Your suggestion, of 'outcome measures', is better.