• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile If they log/fell/deforest this forest, the animals will have no place to live.

If they log/fell/deforest this forest, the animals will have no place to live.

Do all of the underlined words fit in the above and mean about the same? Thanks.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: If they log/fell/deforest this forest, the animals will have no place to live.

You deforest an area or a country or something - not a forest. You fell a tree, or all the trees in a forest; 'fell a forest' sounds to me a bit odd. 'Logging' is an activity that I wouldn't expect to see referred to with the verb 'log' and an object. So all your examples sound a bit odd to me. You could say 'The area will be deforested. They're felling all the trees. Come next Spring there'll be no work here, apart from logging.'

But 'deforest[ation etc]' is a rather formal word - used in geography texts and newspaper articles. I think in speech people would be more likely to say something like 'they're cutting down all the trees in the forest'; or, if the trees are small enough to be uprooted, 'they're uprooting/grubbing up all the trees in the forest'.

Br English warning: my views of general usage are rather parochial. Am English favours long words like 'hospitalization' (where Br E would use 'going to/staying in/being put in hospital). I wouldn't be surprised if 'deforestation' is in much more colloquial use in N. America.

b
    Last edited by BobK; 13-Dec-2007 at 17:48. Reason: Format

Post Thanks / Like

Re: If they log/fell/deforest this forest, the animals will have no place to live.

Yes, right, BobK, we Americans are just a bunch of pretentious twits, consuming the globe's nonrenewable resources as we drive around our deforested conurbanizations in our automotive vehicles. :)

Actually, multi-syllabics are a class marker over here (as so admirably delineated in Paul Fussell's book Class) and yes, I've heard folks talk about Aunt Bessie being "hospitalized," but I don't think I've ever heard someone use the word "deforestation" colloquially.

[not a teacher]

angliholic is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    You deforest an area or a country or something - not a forest. You fell a tree, or all the trees in a forest; 'fell a forest' sounds to me a bit odd. 'Logging' is an activity that I wouldn't expect to see referred to with the verb 'log' and an object. So all your examples sound a bit odd to me. You could say 'The area will be deforested. They're felling all the trees. Come next Spring there'll be no work here, apart from logging.'

b
    Thanks, Bob.
    I have trouble interpreting "apart from logging?" When there is no more trees, why is there still "logging?"

Quote Originally Posted by Delmobile View Post
    Yes, right, BobK, we Americans are just a bunch of pretentious twits, consuming the globe's nonrenewable resources as we drive around our deforested conurbanizations in our automotive vehicles. :)

Actually, multi-syllabics are a class marker over here (as so admirably delineated in Paul Fussell's book Class) and yes, I've heard folks talk about Aunt Bessie being "hospitalized," but I don't think I've ever heard someone use the word "deforestation" colloquially.

[not a teacher]
    Thanks, Delmobile, for the long words.
    But I fail to find "conurbanization" in my dictionary. What I found is only "conurbanation."
    Who is "Aunt Besssie?"

Post Thanks / Like

I should have written "conurbanation"---it's a word I only learned the other day. "Conurbanization" refers to the process, I suppose, if it's even a word at all, which it may not be. Yet. Give it time :)

"Aunt Bessie" is just an example of a typical name for an elderly aunt, one who might be likely to spend time in the hospital, or "in hospital" as our British friends would say. I actually had one long ago, but she's dead. Or I should say, deceased :)

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: If they log/fell/deforest this forest, the animals will have no place to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Delmobile View Post
    I should have written "conurbanation"---it's a word I only learned the other day. "Conurbanization" refers to the process, I suppose, if it's even a word at all, which it may not be. Yet. Give it time :)

"Aunt Bessie" is just an example of a typical name for an elderly aunt, one who might be likely to spend time in the hospital, or "in hospital" as our British friends would say. I actually had one long ago, but she's dead. Or I should say, deceased :)
    Thanks, Delmobile.
    Got it.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angliholic View Post
    Thanks, Bob.
    I have trouble interpreting "apart from logging?" When there is no more trees, why is there still "logging?"

'Logging' in that context refers to an industry - cutting up trees into logs, after cutting them down first, of course.

b

Naamplao is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

b
    If they log this forest, the animals will have no place to live.

Actually this is the only sentence that makes real sense. In Canada the verb "to log (off)" can mean to clear-cut an area of land for its lumber. This horrible practice continues today by forestry companies and it certainly does reduce animal habitat, as well as create erosion problems.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: If they log/fell/deforest this forest, the animals will have no place to live.

'Logging' in that context refers to an industry - cutting up trees into logs, after cutting them down first, of course.

b
    Thanks, Bob.
    Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Naamplao View Post
    If they log this forest, the animals will have no place to live.

Actually this is the only sentence that makes real sense. In Canada the verb "to log (off)" can mean to clear-cut an area of land for its lumber. This horrible practice continues today by forestry companies and it certainly does reduce animal habitat, as well as create erosion problems.
    Thanks, Naamplao.
    Got it.

By the way, I'm intrigued by your avatar. Is the cool tough guy really you? He looks like a good guy.

Naamplao is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angliholic View Post
    Thanks, Bob.
    Got it.

Thanks, Naamplao.
    Got it.

By the way, I'm intrigued by your avatar. Is the cool tough guy really you? He looks like a good guy.
    It is me but I ran it through a photo processing software to make it a drawing, thereby disguising my face a little. I am not really a tough guy, cool is debatable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast