mei Guest

Default editorial fariness or balance

Hi,

Could anyone help me with the underlined sentence? I don't quite understand?

Expressions of opinion could be included in the newscast through studio interviews. These 'live' segements facilitated a stronger sense of immediacy, for spontaneous or 'off the cuff' remarks added a degree of excitement that might have otherwise been denied in the name of editorial fairness or balance.

Thanks a lot.

Mei

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: editorial fariness or balance

Quote Originally Posted by mei
    Hi,

Could anyone help me with the underlined sentence? I don't quite understand?

Expressions of opinion could be included in the newscast through studio interviews. These 'live' segements facilitated a stronger sense of immediacy, for spontaneous or 'off the cuff' remarks added a degree of excitement that might have otherwise been denied in the name of editorial fairness or balance.

Thanks a lot.

Mei
    The entire noun phrase is a degree of excitement that might have otherwise been denied in the name of editorial fairness or balance. What they mean is that if they had followed the practice of carefully balancing one viewpoint with another that would have produced something less interesting.

8)