Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Silver Boat is offline Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Can we say two-door three-compartment car?

    One of my students is a car fan who is interested in cars. He asked me a question: A car has three compartments--engine compartment, passenger compartment and luggage compartment. So can we say this car is a two-door, three-compartment car? The van just has one compartment, and some jeeps have two compartments, so can we say this kind of car is a two-door three-compartment car?

  2. #2
    Naamplao is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,155
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Can we say two-door three-compartment car?

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Boat View Post
    One of my students is a car fan who is interested in cars. He asked me a question: A car has three compartments--engine compartment, passenger compartment and luggage compartment. So can we say this car is a two-door, three-compartment car? The van just has one compartment, and some jeeps have two compartments, so can we say this kind of car is a two-door three-compartment car?
    I find it hard to believe that a van has only one compartment.

    A compartment means a separate area.

    The motor of a van is certainly separated from the passenger in a van. Also depending on whether the vehicle is designed as a cargo van or passenger van there is a defined area where luggage is stored. It may be very small as in the case of a passenger van but there is an area at the back where luggage is carried and no passenger sits or motor is mounted.

    You would rarely, if ever, describe a car by the number of "compartments" it has. You might describe the size of a particular compartment but not the number.

  3. #3
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,332
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Can we say two-door three-compartment car?

    Quote Originally Posted by Naamplao View Post
    ....You would rarely, if ever, describe a car by the number of "compartments" it has. You might describe the size of a particular compartment but not the number.
    But in the vehicle design industry, it is not unheard of (it might be quite common, I'm not an automotive engineer) to refer to three basic shapes:

    'one-box' - for example an MPV (where the bonnet does not stick out in front of the windscreen)
    'two-box' - for example a hatchback (where the luggage compartment does not stick out at the back)
    'three-box' - for example a traditional saloon car.

    See more here: Three-box styling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    b
    Last edited by BobK; 14-Dec-2007 at 12:10. Reason: Added to quotation

  4. #4
    Naamplao is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,155
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Can we say two-door three-compartment car?

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    But in the vehicle design industry, it is not unheard of (it might be quite common, I'm not an automotive engineer) to refer to three basic shapes:

    'one-box' - for example an MPV (where the bonnet does not stick out in front of the windscreen)
    'two-box' - for example a hatchback (where the luggage compartment does not stick out at the back)
    'three-box' - for example a traditional saloon car.

    See more here: Three-box styling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    b
    Hahaha....well you may describe your cars as being "boxy" in Europe but not so in North America...I know, I know, "boxy" means cramped but it still seems to fit when talking about European cars

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk