• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default as wide as five kilometres

Could we rewrite the sentence 'This river is as much as five kilometres wide as it nears the sea' into 'This river is as wide as five kilometres as it nears the sea'?

Another question: We say 'I walked as far as the bridge', but can we say 'I walked as far as three miles'? Some of the grammar books I read say that 'as far as' cannot be followed by such expressions as 'three miles/ ten kilometres'.

Thank you.

Naamplao is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: as wide as five kilometres

Quote Originally Posted by joham View Post
    Could we rewrite the sentence 'This river is as much as five kilometres wide as it nears the sea' into 'This river is as wide as five kilometres as it nears the sea'?

Another question: We say 'I walked as far as the bridge', but can we say 'I walked as far as three miles'? Some of the grammar books I read say that 'as far as' cannot be followed by such expressions as 'three miles/ ten kilometres'.

Thank you.
    'This river is as much as five kilometres wide as it nears the sea' This sentence shows a variability in the width of the river. The five kilometer maximum is an approximate maximum.

'This river is as wide as five kilometres as it nears the sea'? This sentence is almost the same except the maximum width of five kilometers seems to be more definite.

'I walked as far as three miles' It is a bit awkward but I don't have a problem with this sentence. The person is not sure the exact distance that was walked but believes it to be three miles at the most. Personally I would probably use "about" instead of "as far as"

I walked about three miles.