Member Type
Academic
Hi

I've done a quick web research on in/from my point of view. Google.co.uk
finds

117,000 entries for "from my point of view"

and

63,800 entries for "in my point of view"

leo.org only mentions "from my point of view".

Which of the two expressions is correct?

Cheers

Nico

Naamplao

Member Type
Other
Hi

I've done a quick web research on in/from my point of view. Google.co.uk
finds

117,000 entries for "from my point of view"

and

63,800 entries for "in my point of view"

leo.org only mentions "from my point of view".

Which of the two expressions is correct?

Cheers

Nico

Both of these expressions basically mean "according to me". There is about a 2/1 preference for "from my point of view" on the internet as a whole versus "in my point of view".

There is no "correct" answer in this case. I have a preference for "from my point of view" myself but that is a personal decision...not a grammatical one

David L.

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
I would be sceptical, nay dismissive, of anyone expressing an opinion based on reflection 'in his point of view'. That's not so much an outlook on life as a good hard look at his toes, or his navel!
The expression is, "from my point of view" - an outward-looking observation of 'life'.
The Internet also spreads viruses...and bad grammar!

Last edited:

Naamplao

Member Type
Other
I would be sceptical, nay dismissive, of anyone expressing an opinion based on reflection 'in his point of view'. That's not so much an outlook on life as a good hard look at his toes, or his navel!
The expression is, "from my point of view" - an outward-looking observation of 'life'.

Explain exactly why "in his point of view" is bad grammar.

riverkid

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher

This has nothing whatsoever to do with grammar, David. You've proven with your little anecdote, that you can see a situation in life where 'in his point of view' works. That makes it part of language and a possible collocation.

Don't you realize how odd parts of BrE can sound to others. This only illustrates that we get comfortable with what is normal for our own dialects of English. It doesn't make other possibilities wrong/ungrammatical. That too, would border on the absurd.

You play the dismissive card a bit too readily, as if it has any merit when making decisions on how language works. The proof card remains firmly buried on the bottom of the deck.

Googled - specified USA region

Results 1 - 10 of about 1,820,000 English pages for "from my point of view".

Results 1 - 10 of about 1,350,000 English pages for "in my point of view".

Naamplao

Member Type
Other
Peter L. In spite of what was said above,(probably simply that it is a phrase in common use knowing the poster) I would like to know the specific grammar point that provoked your comment.

riverkid

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Peter L. In spite of what was said above,(probably simply that it is a phrase in common use knowing the poster) I would like to know the specific grammar point that provoked your comment.

Don't you mean, DavidL, Naamplao? It's nice to see that you're reading my postings again. Truly the adult thing to do. :up:

I wouldn't want you to think that my comments to DavidL are in any way intended to relieve him of his responsibility to provide proof, grammatical or otherwise, for his contentions. I'm sure you're in agreement that everyone should do that, are you not?

Last edited:

riverkid

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher

When you're done your discussion with DavidL, or sooner as the feeling strikes you, Naamplao, would you please address the issue you've raised as to "phrase(s) in common use"?

Status
Not open for further replies.