hazzy is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Native English speakers, I need your help [solved]

Hi, I hope I'm not posting in a completely wrong forum. I have to translate a text about Romanesque art for university (and we are allowed to use any help we can get), and I have trouble understanding the idea behind the following two sentences.

"It [Romanesque art] spreads fast over the Catholic area, and its domination is maintained with regional characteristics, in the next centuries, too. The name of the style was given by the scholars, starting from the same elements of antique Roman inspiration which it assimilated."

Namely, I don't understand what is meant by "its domination is maintained with regional characteristics" -- maintained? How do you maintain the domination of something? And in the other sentence, "starting from the same elements of antique Roman inspiration" -- what started, how exactly are the scholars involved with taking over elements from Ancient Rome?

Help would be greatly appreciated. :)
    Last edited by hazzy; 20-Dec-2007 at 20:16.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Native English speakers, I need your help

Quote Originally Posted by hazzy View Post
    Hi, I hope I'm not posting in a completely wrong forum. I have to translate a text about Romanesque art for university (and we are allowed to use any help we can get), and I have trouble understanding the idea behind the following two sentences.

"It [Romanesque art] spreads fast over the Catholic area, and its domination is maintained with regional characteristics, in the next centuries, too. The name of the style was given by the scholars, starting from the same elements of antique Roman inspiration which it assimilated."

Namely, I don't understand what is meant by "its domination is maintained with regional characteristics" -- maintained? How do you maintain the domination of something? And in the other sentence, "starting from the same elements of antique Roman inspiration" -- what started, how exactly are the scholars involved with taking over elements from Ancient Rome?

Help would be greatly appreciated. :)
    You are welcome to ask for help - we are interested in any problems people have with English.

Romanesque architecture and decoration remained dominant within buildings in much of central/southern Europe over a period of two hundred years, but with regional differences in the designs and patterns. If you compare the architecture of the cathedrals of Pisa and Durham, you will see that while the basic concept is the same, the details are different.

Romanesque = like Roman. It is not the scholars taking over the elements from Rome, but the builders, who used Roman models as their inspirations.

finta is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hazzy View Post

The writer is talking about the time span when Romanesque art dominated over other styles. It 'spread fast', and then, in 'the next centuries' it remained dominant, but began to develop different characteristics in different regions, so 'its domination is maintained (=continued) but with regional characteristics'.

I'm no expert on the Romanesque, but this sentence is about the origin of the name 'Romanesque', which derives from its continuation of the original Roman style of architecture/art (the 'start'). The scholars didn't take over anything. They just gave the style its name.

Hope this helps!

finta

hazzy is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Anglika and finta, you've both been of great help! Now I understand the meanings of both of those sentences. Thanks again!