Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 49
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Sitting in or on the chair ?

    Hi,

    The following sentence came up in class recently( While we were practicing the prepositions in and on )

    "I am sitting in the chair." -- I thought it should be ' sitting on the chair.'
    I am told that "in" can be used if the chair has arms. Is this correct?

    Can someone clarify please.

    Arun

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 348
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Sitting in or on the chair ?

    I don't know any "rule" about arms. LOL Either would be understood by native English speakers.

  1. jomo27's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • Indonesia
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 2,796
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Sitting in or on the chair ?

    The correct one is 'Sitting on the chair'

    Ive have never heard of 'Sitting in the chair', I think its wrong.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Singapore
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

    • Join Date: Jan 2006
    • Posts: 55
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Sitting in or on the chair ?

    Quote Originally Posted by greystroke View Post
    Hi,

    The following sentence came up in class recently( While we were practicing the prepositions in and on )

    "I am sitting in the chair." -- I thought it should be ' sitting on the chair.'
    I am told that "in" can be used if the chair has arms. Is this correct?

    Can someone clarify please.

    Arun
    I have also heard of the same rule. Chairs with arms should be "sitting in the chair", and without should be "sitting on the chair".... and invariably, we sit on the stool.


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,448
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Sitting in or on the chair ?

    If you have an upholstered armchair, you sit in it. If you have an upright wooden armless chair, you sit on it.

    If the chair is wooden and has arms, it could be either!


    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,063
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Sitting in or on the chair ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    If you have an upholstered armchair, you sit in it. If you have an upright wooden armless chair, you sit on it.

    If the chair is wooden and has arms, it could be either!
    In my neck of the woods, upholstered or not makes no nevermind. If it has arms, then 'in' is used, with no arms, 'on' is used.


    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 344
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: Sitting in or on the chair ?

    Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    In my neck of the woods, upholstered or not makes no nevermind. If it has arms, then 'in' is used, with no arms, 'on' is used.

    Yup


    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 49
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: Sitting in or on the chair ?

    Thanks all,

    Arun

Similar Threads

  1. sitting
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Oct-2007, 13:49
  2. rocking chair
    By user_gary in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-May-2007, 20:06
  3. No dabbling or sitting
    By mochaichai in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20-Mar-2007, 11:16
  4. Lightning and plastic chair
    By HaraKiriBlade in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-Jul-2005, 21:46

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •