Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    angliholic's Avatar
    angliholic is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,988
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile his unique blend of Western hip-hop and traditional Chinese music

    Leehom Wang, known for his unique blend of Western hip-hop and traditional Chinese music, is one of Asia's hottest and most influential pop stars.


    For me, blend in the above seems to be equivalent to "mixture/conbination." But I'm afraid that I'm under the false impression. Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

    P.S. Are hottest in the above and most popular interchangeable?

  2. #2
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: his unique blend of Western hip-hop and traditional Chinese music

    Blend and mixture are synonymous.

    Hottest in this context means to me the most desirable - the latest fashionable musician.

  3. #3
    angliholic's Avatar
    angliholic is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,988
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: his unique blend of Western hip-hop and traditional Chinese music

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Blend and mixture are synonymous.

    Hottest in this context means to me the most desirable - the latest fashionable musician.
    Thanks, Anglika.
    But I still can't figure out why combination doesn't work in the above.
    Besides, does "hottest" and "the most desirable" imply the most sexual?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    34
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: his unique blend of Western hip-hop and traditional Chinese music

    sorry for the intervention.

    it would be better to say "one of the Asia's hottest and most influential artists" than " one of Asia's hottest~~"?

    I think 'The' must be in the sentence
    is there anyone to clarify the concept?


    and
    angliholic, I come across Wang Leehonm in a film named " lust and caution"
    I thought he were just a movie star. does he sing too? lol

  5. #5
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: his unique blend of Western hip-hop and traditional Chinese music

    Quote Originally Posted by angliholic View Post
    Thanks, Anglika.
    But I still can't figure out why combination doesn't work in the above.
    Besides, does "hottest" and "the most desirable" imply the most sexual?
    No - just the singer whose records are being bought by most people.

    The hottest deal in town >> the latest, most desirable, deal there is in the market.

    The hottest trend in clothes >> the latest, most desirable, new clothing line.

  6. #6
    angliholic's Avatar
    angliholic is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,988
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile Re: his unique blend of Western hip-hop and traditional Chinese music

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    No - just the singer whose records are being bought by most people.

    The hottest deal in town >> the latest, most desirable, deal there is in the market.

    The hottest trend in clothes >> the latest, most desirable, new clothing line.
    Thanks, Anglika.
    But I still have two questions about this thread: one is why combination doesn't do the trick in the sample; the other is why you added "line" to "new clothing."

  7. #7
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: his unique blend of Western hip-hop and traditional Chinese music

    Quote Originally Posted by angliholic View Post
    Thanks, Anglika.
    But I still have two questions about this thread: one is why combination doesn't do the trick in the sample; the other is why you added "line" to "new clothing."
    A blend or a mixture has more feeling of many things being stirred together to create a unique result.

    Combination seems more like two things joined together.


    new clothing line = In the fashion world a new line of clothing is a cohesive set of designs, which may include accessories, shoes, and clothing.

  8. #8
    angliholic's Avatar
    angliholic is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,988
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: his unique blend of Western hip-hop and traditional Chinese music

    Thanks, Anglika.
    Roger.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •