Thread: Fart logic

Post Thanks / Like

Fart logic

When someone uses fart logic, what does it mean exactly?

Could you show that in a sentence?

riverkid is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fart logic

Quote Originally Posted by besthost View Post
    When someone uses fart logic, what does it mean exactly?

Could you show that in a sentence?
    I've never heard that term, Besthost, but I can well imagine how it could be used. Where did you come across it? Was there more context that went along with it?

Post Thanks / Like

This is something about Grey's anatomy.

We got a less bitter version of Addison's snarkyness in the scene with Sam (T.Diggs) were she taps him repeatedly on the head. A scene ruined by the fart logic remarks, alas.

riverkid is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

We got a less bitter version of Addison's snarkyness in the scene with Sam (T.Diggs) were she taps him repeatedly on the head. A scene ruined by the fart logic remarks, alas.
    {In an early scene, apropos of I-can't-remember-what (probably nothing), Sam actually used the line ''Smelt it, dealt it'' to support some point he was making, and Addison replied, ''You're using fart logic?''

Grey's Anatomy (Season 3) | ''Grey's Anatomy'': Addison's spin-off | Grey's Anatomy | TV Watch | TV | Entertainment Weekly }

There still isn't enough context to make a clear decision, Besthost. But maybe Addison is saying that the logic coming from Sam's mouth is as reliable as the gas that comes out the other end.

Or, because Sam said, "Smelt it, dealt it", Addison was suggesting that an inaacurate medical analogy had been made by noticing a certain smell and immediately attributing it to a fart, not thinking about other options.

Or, something else.

Post Thanks / Like

What this means, in any case, is that it is not a common idiom.

If somebody complains of the smell of somebody breaking wind, another person might say, "Smelt it, dealt it." That means that whoever smelt it (and complained about it) is the one who's responsible. Sam may be extending that to mean that the person who reported a crime (for example) is likely to be the criminal.

It might be that this is what Addison calls "fart logic": whoever complains is the culprit, perhaps in an attempt to deflect suspicion away from him or her. But although this is certainly sometimes the case, it isn't always the case.

This is just my guess, as I have never watched the show.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. It's become much more clear to me.

Post Thanks / Like

It is not a very common idiom but I will toss this suggestion into the ring.

When an idea is not a good one we often say that the idea "smells funny" or "smells bad".

So fart logic may be commenting on bad logic or a more common idiom "talking out of your ass"