• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

When do Canadians usually begin to spend Chirstmas Holiday?

Hello Everyone,

First Merry Christmas to you all!

And I would like to know here when Cannadians begin to spend their Chirstmas Holiday? And when do they usually return to work, esp in factory?

Best Regards

Richard Ding

riverkid is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: When do Canadians usually begin to spend Chirstmas Holiday?

Quote Originally Posted by sky753 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

And I would like to know here when Canadians begin to spend their Chirstmas Holiday? And when do they usually return to work, esp in factory?

Best Regards

Richard Ding
    It depends and varies a great deal, Richard. Some people who have accumulated some holidays and have to take them before the year end may well have along Xmas holiday.

I haven't ever had much experience with factory situations, never worked in one and never will.

For me there are no holidays. The chores never end with cattle. They need pretty much the same things 365 days a year. And I've got a couple of little tans that seem to be bloating up on hay so I tubed them and now they're on oat straw and calf pellets.

They're like little kids. They can get sick from so many different things and now, just after they've been weaned, is one of the worst times as it's a bit of a stressful time for them.

Happy Holidays to you and your loved ones, Richard!!!

Amigos4 is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    It depends and varies a great deal, Richard. Some people who have accumulated some holidays and have to take them before the year end may well have along Xmas holiday.

I haven't ever had much experience with factory situations, never worked in one and never will.

For me there are no holidays. The chores never end with cattle. They need pretty much the same things 365 days a year. And I've got a couple of little tans that seem to be bloating up on hay so I tubed them and now they're on oat straw and calf pellets.

They're like little kids. They can get sick from so many different things and now, just after they've been weaned, is one of the worst times as it's a bit of a stressful time for them.

OK, riverkid, please help this desert dwellar out with an explanation of the following descriptive sentence: And I've got a couple of little tans that seem to be bloating up on hay so I tubed them and now they're on oat straw and calf pellets.

I think I know what you are saying, but please give me the Canadian version!

Cheers,
    Amigos4

sky753 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

First thank you very much for your reply, but I am getting a little bit confused by the third and fourth paragraph. The main idea, it seems to me , is that you have got no holidays. You have too many things to do. I am wondering here if you can explain several phrases to me in your reply.
    like And I've got a couple of little tans that seem to be bloating up on hay so I tubed them and now they're on oat straw and calf pellets.

And by saying "They can get sick from so many different things and now, just after they've been weaned, is one of the worst times as it's a bit of a stressful time for them." what do you mean here?

Thanks and Best Regards

Sky

Post Thanks / Like

First thank you very much for your reply, but I am getting a little bit confused by the third and fourth paragraph. The main idea, it seems to me , is that you have got no holidays. You have too many things to do. I am wondering here if you can explain several phrases to me in your reply. like And I've got a couple of little tans that seem to be bloating up on hay so I tubed them and now they're on oat straw and calf pellets.

And by saying "They can get sick from so many different things and now, just after they've been weaned, is one of the worst times as it's a bit of a stressful time for them." what do you mean here?

Sky
    I'll combine them if you don't mind, Amigo as you have the same question.

Little tan calves. After they're weaned [taken away from their mothers] and put on straight feed, no milk, they can get sick from the combination of cold weather, stress from being weaned, new kinds of food, different water, no water, the experts say there are a lot of different reasons..

Two of my tan calves, out of four or five tans, seem to bloat from the alfalfa/brome hay I put them all on. Bloat is bad gas in their stomach, that they can't get rid of naturally. All cattle produce gas, but most are able to belch and fart it away.

Unless the gas is removed the animal will die, so I put a 1 foot by 1inch plastic tube down the calf's throat, then I feed a 6 foot by 1/2 inch tube thru the 1 inch tube down into their stomach. The bigger 1 foot tube is hard so it protects the soft tube so that the calf can't bite thru it. When you've shoved the right length down an you hit the right place, the gas comes whooshing out of the tub and their drum like stomach deflates like a balloon.

Oat straw is tasty but it doesn't have much food value so they get calf pellets, a commercial blend of all the right food, minerals and essential nutrients.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll combine them if you don't mind, Amigo as you have the same question.

Little tan calves. After they're weaned [taken away from their mothers] and put on straight feed, no milk, they can get sick from the combination of cold weather, stress from being weaned, new kinds of food, different water, no water, the experts say there are a lot of different reasons..

Two of my tan calves, out of four or five tans, seem to bloat from the alfalfa/brome hay I put them all on. Bloat is bad gas in their stomach, that they can't get rid of naturally. All cattle produce gas, but most are able to belch and fart it away.

Unless the gas is removed the animal will die, so I put a 1 foot by 1inch plastic tube down the calf's throat, then I feed a 6 foot by 1/2 inch tube thru the 1 inch tube down into their stomach. The bigger 1 foot tube is hard so it protects the soft tube so that the calf can't bite thru it. When you've shoved the right length down an you hit the right place, the gas comes whooshing out of the tub and their drum like stomach deflates like a balloon.

Oat straw is tasty but it doesn't have much food value so they get calf pellets, a commercial blend of all the right food, minerals and essential nutrients.
    riverkid,

Thanks for the explanation! Wouldn't it be easier just to give each of the tan calves a couple of Alka Seltzer tablets?

"When you've shoved the right length down an you hit the right place, the gas comes whooshing out of the tub and their drum like stomach deflates like a balloon." One can only imagine the fragrant ambiance that is created in the barn when this occurs!

Cheers,
    Amigos4

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Everyone,

And I would like to know here when Cannadians begin to spend their Christmas Holiday? And when do they usually return to work, esp in factory?

Best Regards

Richard Ding
    Merry Christmas to you too!

A lot depends on the individual Canadian. There are some Canadians that like winter and some that hate winter.

Normally Canadians get Christmas Day and the day following Christmas (Boxing Day) as automatic holidays (statutory holidays). We also get New Year's Day as a holiday as well.

Many businesses only work 1/2 a day on the day before business. This is not a real work day since people are usually in a party mood. There is often food brought in by employees and non-alcoholic drink (maybe wine) for a bit of a party in this half day of work. Many people take this day off totally to do some last minute shopping. The Christmas celebration starts Christmas Eve for most people. Some go to church that evening and most spend their time in the home with their families.

This year with Christmas falling on a Tuesday, this means the working days for the week are only Thursday and Friday followed by Monday of the following week, then there is New Year's Day.

So if you like skiing, want to relax or have a warm vacation planned in the tropics, you can take 4 days of annual vacation (to include the day before Christmas). You would get 11 days of holiday (Dec 22 to Jan 1).

This is a pretty good way to extend your vacation at little cost to your annual vacation time, so many people take advantage of this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    riverkid,

Thanks for the explanation! Wouldn't it be easier just to give each of the tan calves a couple of Alka Seltzer tablets?

Been there, done that, Amigos4, but they get a peppermint flavored kind of pepto-bismal type concoction mixed with mineral oil, and again, tubed as it's awfully hard to get a 400 pound calf to swallow anything it doesn't wanna swallow.

"When you've shoved the right length down an you hit the right place, the gas comes whooshing out of the tub and their drum like stomach deflates like a balloon." One can only imagine the fragrant ambiance that is created in the barn when this occurs!

Cheers,
    Amigos4
    I thought that it would be really rank, Amigo, but though it isn't likely to be the next Revlon fragrance, it isn't all that bad. I've been exposed to many worse burps from humans.

Cheers to you to Sir and if I haven't had the chance to wish you a Happy New Year, let me now do so.

Happy New Year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful humor. I've enjoyed this.

As to when we take holidays, a lot depends on what day of the week Christmas and New Year fall on. With Christmas this year on a Tuesday, and with December 26 being a holiday also, many businesses here in Toronto shut down for the entire week.

I too did farm labor in Alberta, much of which was just shoveling manure. I told my kids I was working as a cowboy.

best wishes to all
    edward

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

riverkid, I don't care what all of the other people in the Forum say about you... I think you are boffo!

( I still don't like the fact that you don't capitalize the 'r' in riverkid, but I can certainly live with that minor flaw in your personality!)

Happy tubing, mi amigo, and may you have a gaseous New Year!

Cheers,
    Amigos4

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast