Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. angliholic's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 2,988
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Smile I am not related/relative to him in any way.

    I just want to tell you that I am not related/relative to him in any way.



    Do both related and relative fit in the above and mean about the same? Thanks.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2006
    • Posts: 431
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: I am not related/relative to him in any way.

    Quote Originally Posted by angliholic View Post
    I just want to tell you that I am not related/relative to him in any way.



    Do both related and relative fit in the above and mean about the same? Thanks.
    I think in this case "related" is better, for "related" is an adjective and an adjective is needed here, not a noun. "Relative" is often used as a noun, as we say "he is my relative". "Relative" can also be used as an adjective, as in "these facts are relative to the accident", in which case, relative is close to related. But still most people in this context will use "related" rather than "relative" for the meaning you want to express.

  2. angliholic's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 2,988
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: I am not related/relative to him in any way.

    Quote Originally Posted by ian2 View Post
    I think in this case "related" is better, for "related" is an adjective and an adjective is needed here, not a noun. "Relative" is often used as a noun, as we say "he is my relative". "Relative" can also be used as an adjective, as in "these facts are relative to the accident", in which case, relative is close to related. But still most people in this context will use "related" rather than "relative" for the meaning you want to express.
    Thanks, ian2.

    By the way, what do you think of the following sample? Would you use "related" or "relative?"

    What he suggested wasn't related/relative to what we were discussing?

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2006
    • Posts: 431
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: I am not related/relative to him in any way.

    Quote Originally Posted by angliholic View Post
    Thanks, ian2.

    By the way, what do you think of the following sample? Would you use "related" or "relative?"

    What he suggested wasn't related/relative to what we were discussing?
    I would use "related".

  3. angliholic's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 2,988
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: I am not related/relative to him in any way.

    Quote Originally Posted by ian2 View Post
    I would use "related".
    Thanks, ian2.
    But the original uses "relative," and that's confusing to me.


    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 399
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: I am not related/relative to him in any way.

    Related is an adjective derived from a verb. Relative is, in this context, a noun.

    He's not related to me. We're not related.
    He's not my relative. He's not a relative of mine.

    regards
    edward

    Do both related and relative fit in the above and mean about the same? Thanks.[/quote][quote=angliholic;240481]I just want to tell you that I am not related/relative to him in any way.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2006
    • Posts: 431
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: I am not related/relative to him in any way.

    Quote Originally Posted by baqarah131 View Post
    Related is an adjective derived from a verb. Relative is, in this context, a noun.

    He's not related to me. We're not related.
    He's not my relative. He's not a relative of mine.

    regards
    edward

    Do both related and relative fit in the above and mean about the same? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by angliholic View Post
    I just want to tell you that I am not related/relative to him in any way.
    AS I said before, "relative" is often used as a noun, but it definitely can be used as an adjective. I would say, which one is right totally depends on what you really want to express. What do you really mean, in other words.


    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 399
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: I am not related/relative to him in any way.

    I can't think of a way to use "relative" as an adjective if we're talking about family relationships--mother, uncle, cousin, etc.

    Using relative as an adjective:

    She left the kitchen and went to the relative quiet of the living room. (The living room wasn't quiet, but it was quieter than the kitchen.)

    regards
    edward

    Quote Originally Posted by ian2 View Post
    AS I said before, "relative" is often used as a noun, but it definitely can be used as an adjective. I would say, which one is right totally depends on what you really want to express. What do you really mean, in other words.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2006
    • Posts: 431
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: I am not related/relative to him in any way.

    Quote Originally Posted by baqarah131 View Post
    I can't think of a way to use "relative" as an adjective if we're talking about family relationships--mother, uncle, cousin, etc.

    Using relative as an adjective:

    She left the kitchen and went to the relative quiet of the living room. (The living room wasn't quiet, but it was quieter than the kitchen.)

    regards
    edward
    You are totally right. It can't be used as an adjective to mean family relations. But it can be used as an adjective in other cases.

  4. angliholic's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 2,988
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: I am not related/relative to him in any way.

    Thanks, ian2 and Edward.
    I think I get the whole picture now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •