• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default pull from the spice cabinet

Fred Michel is one of 7.2 million Americans who moonlight, or hold more than one job.

Besides, 'it's fun,' Michel says. Not only do his part-time jobs offer a chance to network, stretch his professional skills and make more money, but they also give him the variety he wouldn't find just in a full-time job.
    'It's a way of pulling from the spice cabinet,' he says, 'and offering a little variety throughout the day.'

I don't understand the underlined parts. Could I ask native English teachers to explain the two parts to me?

Thank you very much.

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: pull from the spice cabinet

"To network" simply means to meet and interact with other people. It is a good way to make business contacts or to find work when you're looking for a job. For example, if you work at a service job and one of your regular customers (with whom you've developed a friendly relationship) owns a car dealership, you might be able to get a good deal on a new car when you're shopping around.

There is an old proverb that says "variety is the spice of life," so when this gentleman refers to "pulling from the spice cabinet," he simply means he's adding some variety to his daily life. Most likely his second, part-time job is something completely different than what he does full-time, so that keeps him from getting bored.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: pull from the spice cabinet

Networking is the process of meeting people who might be helpful to you in looking for work, finding the right career, letting people know what skills you have, what your interests are.
    "Pulling from the spice cabinet" sounds like an expression, but I've never heard it. He seems to mean simply that it's his way of having variety in his life.
    regards
    edward

Quote Originally Posted by joham View Post
    Fred Michel is one of 7.2 million Americans who moonlight, or hold more than one job.

Besides, 'it's fun,' Michel says. Not only do his part-time jobs offer a chance to network, stretch his professional skills and make more money, but they also give him the variety he wouldn't find just in a full-time job.
    'It's a way of pulling from the spice cabinet,' he says, 'and offering a little variety throughout the day.'

I don't understand the underlined parts. Could I ask native English teachers to explain the two parts to me?

Thank you very much.